Equestrian Team Leaps to Fifth Place

The Eclectic Notebook

By Michael J. Lartigue

The Harvard women's equestrian team sent four riders to an intercollegiate horse-riding show sponsored by the University of Vermont last weekend. Harvard finished in fifth place in its first show of the season.

Captain Cindy Green led the way, finishing in first place in her jumping class and second in the intermediate equitation on the flat. Green, who has been the force behind the Crimson equestrian team, was riding for the first time in the intermediate class.

Freshman Susan Andersen won first place in her novice equitation on the flat and pulled out second place in jumping class.

"Susan's great. She's a promising prospect," Green said.

Senior Bridget Bailey finished in sixth place in equitation on the flat.

"The team has a lot of potential," Andersen said. "But we need more advanced riders. I think we will have riders qualify for regionals."

Soccer: Princeton striker Andrew Decht has been named the Ivy League Men's Soccer Player of the Week for his performance against Brown last Friday. The sophomore tallied two goals and one assist in the Tigers' 4-3 victory. He currently leads the Ivy League in scoring with five goals and one assist for 11 points.

Two Lions led the honor roll for the last week. Columbia striker Chris Ziadie, who came off the bench to set up both of the Lions' goals in a 2-0 victory over Penn, and Lion back Chris Ahmad--in Quaker forward Mike Constantino's face all day--were recognized for their play last week. Princeton forward Karl Schellscheidt, who tallied two assists in the Tigers' 4-3 victory over Brown, Brown forward Steve Lacy, who registered a goal and an assist against the Tigers, and Yale stopper Jay Hambrick, tallying his first career goal--the game-winner against the University of Massachusetts--round out last week's honor roll.

On Saturday, the Harvard men's soccer team will face Cornell in a game that will be aired on the New England Sports Network (NESN) Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.

Field Hockey: Penn's Nicky Hitchens scored a pair of goals to pace the nation's 11th-ranked Quakers past visiting Harvard, 4-0, last weekend...Hitchen also earned Ivy League Women's Field Hockey Player of the Week for her performance against the Crimson...Penn has yet to give up a goal in Ivy play...Darmouth's 4-0 win over Lowell marked the 100th win for Big Green coach Mary Twyman.

Hockey: Yes, it is a little early to talk about hockey, but not when you talk about Cornell hocky fans. More than 200 fans showed up before midnight to stand in line for season tickets to the Big Red games starting in November.

Cornell has just named Jack Spates, 36, the new head coach of Cornell's wrestling team. Spates was an assistant coach at the United States Military Academy.

Football: Princeton quarterback Jason Garret was selected as the Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week. In Princeton's 31-27 victory over Brown, Garret completed 21 of 30 passes for 277 yards and threw one touchdown. He also also rushed for 32 yards on eight carries and one touchdown...Brown's Mike Geroux was named the Ivy League Sophomore of the Week. Geroux caught two touchdown passes--one going for 36 yards, the other for 44--in Brown's loss to Princeton. The sophomore had a total of five receptions for 119 yards on the day...Princeton kicker Chris Lutz is still perfect on the season. Lutz is seven-for-seven on extra points and six-for-six on field goals. Princeton now has a streak of 17 consecutive field goals...Tiger Judd Garrett surpassed the 1000 career rushing plateau with his 121-yd. performance against Brown.

Quote of the Week

"There wasn't a kid around who didn't say, 'Wouldn't it be great to play with Ray Borque.' I was one of those kids."--Don Sweeny '88 talking about his opportunity to play on the same line with the Boston Bruin's Ray Borque.