A Whole Season in a Game

The Soccer Notebook

By Jennifer M. Frey

Harvard men's soccer Coach Mike Getman saw a recap of his team's entire season pass before his eyes in Saturday's match-up with Brown at Ohiri Field.

The Crimson dazzled at moments, and faded away at others. It made big plays and small mistakes. There were perfect passes, but no one waiting to receive them. There were goals--but not enough.

"The whole year has been just like this game," Getman said after watching his team give up a 1-0 lead late in the second half and then struggle to a 2-2 tie with the Bruins in overtime. "It takes a couple of different things to win in this league. Some of it is breaks, and some of it is playing your best 100 percent of the time. We're not doing either this season."

Harvard's hope of an NCAA bid is gone. It's chances of a repeat Ivy title are shrinking. Getman knows he has a talented team. It just hasn't been Harvard's season.

"It's just so frustrating," sophomore sweeper Nick Gates said. "We just haven't had any luck this season."

Knee Deep in Trouble: Junior forward Derek Mills--who had arthroscopic knee surgery two weeks ago today--is back training in record time and is listed as probable for tomorrow's game against the University of Massachusetts.

But one recovery has been replaced with another loss.

Freshman midfielder Lenny Ilkhanoff left the field midway through Saturday's first half with an injured right knee and will most likely go into surgery later this week. With a sprain as well as torn cartilage, Iklhanoff is not expected to return to the field this season.

The Prince and the Pauper: Princeton (5-1 Ivies) took care of Penn, 2-0, last Saturday and is now sitting pretty the Ivy League. A win over Yale on Nov. 12 is the Tigers' only obstacle to at least a share of its first Ivy title since 1962.

The Elis--ranked 13th in the nation last week--look like formidable opponents. But Yale (0-2-2) is empty-handed in league action, and fell 1-0 to Dartmouth last weekend.

Harvard and Dartmouth are the only other Ivy teams not eliminated from the title hunt.

Three's A Crowd: There's a three-way tie at the top of the Crimson scoring list, but there still isn't a player with double-digit point production.

Junior forward Nick D'Onofrio netted his fourth goal of the season Saturday and senior midfielder Ramy Rajballie earned the assist to give both nine points and a boost to the top of the standings. D'Onofrio and Rajballie join junior midfielder Paul Baverstock, who has been holding steady with three goals and three assists (nine points) for the past three weeks.