SWAT Rally

MAIL:

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I had the pleasure of walking past Saturday's SWAT rally. Since I did not turn to watch the protest one of the SWATers called me "Fashionably apathetic." I walked away, but within a minute I realized the protester's rudeness. I returned to the rally, faced them, and bellowed: "Excuse me! Which one of you just called me 'Fashionably apathetic'?" The chanting stopped and the woman who had insulted me stepped forward. I explained to her that the remark was uncalled for, and that one would not gain support by insulting passers-by. The SWAT members weathered my comments until I said, "I disagree with what you're saying." Immediately a member initiated a chant again, ignoring my explanation of my position. I thank the woman who insulted me for listening.

I would like to take time not to be apathetic. I shall put my views on final clubs and SWAT on the record. First, I do not think final clubs are a healthy institution, but I don't believe they should be abolished or forced to admit women. A private institution, in my view, has the right to control its membership. If a club decides not to admit women, it's no better than a club deciding not to admit Jews. I have heard the argument that these clubs provide business connections, but those who join clubs usually have connections through their families. Clubs are elitist, I do not deny that. As far as I know, elitism and snobbery are not crimes.

So what purpose do final clubs serve? The only functions that we see held at the clubs are parties. Frankly, I don't see the advantage of joining a drinking den.

Saturday's rally, a SWATer explained to me, protested a Fly Club rule requiring to enter via the side door, admittedly it sounds akin to the segregation laws of the South. While I do not approve of the rule, I don't think a private club that doesn't serve public needs is bound by the same laws as a public restaurant. Unfortunately women submit to this rule, but I don't think taunting them will help. I will also put on the record a request: If I ever ask such a thing of a girlfriend, she is to slap me in the face and say she'll never see me again.

There are two fundamental problems with SWAT. First, that they have singled out the Fly Club. I understand they have done this because the Fly has the closest ties with Harvard which makes legal action easier, but stopping one club on the basis of association with Harvard does not stop the others. My second problem is with the acronym for Stop Withholding Access Today. "SWAT" seems to have been chosen for the Fly, "SWAT the Spee" is nonsensical. The acronym also implies destruction of the clubs. While some people may want this, I think there is very little legal grounds for abolishing The Fly Club, about as much as there is for abolishing the Nazi party.

I was disturbed by some SWAT members' behavior Saturday. The snide remark of my fashionable apathy strikes me as akin to the arrogance, condescension, and elitism that SWATters purport to protest. I hope this doesn't characterize all members of SWAT. I thank the woman who insulted me for hearing and acknowledging my complaint. I was surprised SWATters chanted while I explained myself--a group that expects others to hear their argument will not hear another. I was even more suprised that a group advocating civil rights tried to limit my freedom of speech.

I do not think final clubs cause sexism, rather they are a symptom of an education system with different expectations for men and women. If the demonstrators wish to remove sexism from our society, they should rally for education reform: then I will join them.

I am not associated with any final club, nor do I intend to join one. If I ever join a club, it will be a membership that I've earned through achievement, not through my mommy or daddy. I believe all-male final clubs are the unhealthy symptom of society's sexism. That is my opinion on the issue. I hope I have proved myself not apathetic. I just happen to disagree. Louis M. Green '91