Lockwood Lost Chair, But His Proposals Win

Uses Services Chair to Push Agenda

By Joseph R. Palmore

When Frank E. Lockwood '89 ran for Undergraduate Council chair last month, he demanded a more liberal, activist council, calling on the student government to take stands on campus political issues.

Lockwood fell short of his goal and lost in a run-off election to former Vice Chair Kenneth E. Lee '89.

But six weeks after his loss, the council has adopted nearly all of Lockwood's agenda, which includes opposition to the all-male status of the nine final clubs and renewed campaigning for Harvard to divest from its South Africa-related corporations.

Council members attribute these new council stances, in part, to the ability of Lockwood and his allies to control the body's services committee--from which all but one of these resolutions have emanated.

In addition, members point to Lee's surprisingly strong endorsement of many these proposals--and general encouragement of the council's consideration of political questions--which only a year ago would have seemed exceptional positions for the self-described "conservative" to take.

In sponsoring these reforms, Lockwood has transformed the services committee--which he chairs--from a low-profile body which dealt largely with mundane issues, such as library hours, to a major force on the council. In what appears to be a concerted effort, many of the council's most liberal members this year joined the services committee, council members have said.

"I was a little discouraged when I lost, and I was worried that some issues I cared about might be ignored," said Lockwood. "I think a lot of people may have supported the ideas but worried that I would move the council too far to the left or be too zealous in my support of liberal proposals."

But many of Lockwood's campaign planks haveprevailed. During its first two regular sessions,the council called on the nine all-male finalclubs to admit women and urged the University torecognize the Harvard Union of Clerical andTechnical Workers.

Since then, the body has denounced a Board ofOverseers plan to tighten its electionrequirements and created a special committee tostep up council pressure on the University todivest from South Africa-related companies.

Only the Board of Overseers resolution was notproposed by the services committee. But even thatmeasure was written by a specially formed ad-hocboard which Lockwood chaired.

The only major plank remaining in the Lockwoodagenda is his proposal to have the council's chairelected by all students. The council will considerthat measure December 11, and the idea already hasLee's backing.

For his part, Lee has facilitated the council'spassage of the political resolutions by using hisinfluence to get them to the council floorquickly, council members and Lockwood said.Although the chair has traditionally remainedneutral on proposals before the council, Lee hasactively promoted Lockwood's resolutions, and hasvoted for them.

Lee said his defeat of Lockwood was not arejection of Lockwood's agenda. Rather, he said,their programs actually coincide closely.

"He and I saw eye to eye on a lot more thanthings than a lot of people who were casuallyobserving the campaign thought," Ken Lee said.

But the politicization of the servicescommittee has raised concern among some membersthat these resolutions are taking time away fromother more traditional agenda items.

Deborah J. Slotnick '90, a former chair of theservices committee and unsuccessful candidate forcouncil chair, said yesterday that using thecommittee for political resolutions will "reallychange the focus of the committee" and may notallow it to devote as much attention totraditional services issues. "You can'tnecessarily prioritize them, and there isn't timefor both within that one committee," she said.

Lee also said that the services committee "hastoo big an agenda," adding that the council mightcreate a sixth standing committee devoted solelyto political resolutions.

But Lockwood said his committee has juggledboth roles and has made several concreteaccomplishments in the area of student life. Hesaid the committee had won council funding formicrowaves in each of the houses, and pushed anewspaper recycling program.

"I think that the services committee is a goodexample of a person having clearly defined goalsand molding the committee to realize those goals,"said Ron S. Lee '90, who also ran for councilchair. "I don't think it's gone to the point ofbeing manipulative.