George Bush

ARMS CONTROL:

Bush favors the continuation of research and the deployment of the Strategic Defense Initiative, colloquially known as "Star Wars." Bush supports the Midgetman intercontinental ballistic missile and the multi-warhead MX missile.

CENTRAL AMERICA:

Bush favors continued federal support for the Nicaraguan rebels. He is critical of any multilateral approach, calling it a "platform for peace" without any means of achieving it.

THE BUDGET DEFICIT:

Bush says the deficit is already declining, and will continue to be brought under control with modest measures. He proposes a cut in the capital gains tax, and a flexible freeze, under which he says total government spending can increase, but only at the rate of inflation.

TAXES:

Bush has vigorously promised not to raise taxes, and has intergrated tax cuts as incentives in his economic policies.

GUN CONTROL:

Bush does not want stricter gun controls, and said he would veto legislation banning hand guns that cannot be detected by security devices.

DRUGS:

Bush favors drug education and supports capital punishment for drug "kingpins." He is also willing to require involuntary drug testing of government employees and other citizens.

ABORTION:

Bush calls abortions "killings," and supports a constitutional amendment that would prohibit abortions except in cases of rape or incest or when the mother's life is endangered. If elected, he said he would punish those who administer the abortions.

AIDS:

Bush supports continued federal funding for AIDS research and education, but is not committed to spending a specific amount. He favors widespread mandatory testing of AIDS, including tests for citizens applying for marriage licenses.