Tables Are Turned

The Football Notebook

By Mark Brazaitis

Last year, the Harvard-University of Pennsylvania football game featured two teams heading in different directions.

Harvard was heading for its first Ivy League championship since 1983. The Quakers were on their way to their worst season since 1981.

This year, the situation is the same. Only now it's Harvard heading toward its worst season in several years and the Quakers on their way to an Ivy title.

Harvard (2-6 overall, 2-3 Ivy) must win one of its final two games to equal the 1986 Crimson team's 3-7 record. A 2-8 record would give Harvard its worst record since 1950, when the Crimson went 1-7. All Penn (8-0 overall, 5-0 Ivy) has to do to earn at least a share of the league crown is to win one of its final two contests.

Last year Penn went 3-4 in the league and 4-6 overall. But before last year, the Quakers had won or shared the Ivy title five straight years. In 1986, Penn turned in a 10-0 season, which included a titleclinching victory over Cornell on the final weekend of the season.

He's Ready: Harvard running back Jim Reidy, one of several juniors seeing playing time recently, turned in a stellar performance last Saturday in Harvard's 24-23 loss to Boston University. Reidy had 76 yards rushing and 97 yards receiving.

He and fullback Art McMahon, who rushed for 126 yards two weeks ago against Brown, have sparked the rushing attack since senior Tony Hinz, last year's leading rusher, broke his hand in the Crimson's game against Brown.

The running attack has also been hurt by the loss of quarterback Tom Yohe, the Crimson's third-leading ground-gainer before he fractured his leg against Brown.

"For the past two games, I've been trying to concentrate on my blocking--especially for Tony Hinz and Tom Yohe," Reidy said after the B.U. game. "But in this game, with them out, I wanted to do a little bit extra. I can help the [offensive] line out by running well. I know it will give the line confidence knowing there's someone back there running hard for them."

Reidy said it would be nice to beat Penn. It might prove that "if we had a few breaks, perhaps we could have won the Ivy title," Reidy said.

"It's important for the seniors, too, if we can knock off the number-one team," Reidy said.

Hall of Fame: Harvard kicker Alan Hall turned in a tremendous performance last Saturday, booting three field goals, including a pair of 47 yarders. Hall is eight of 12 on field goal attempts and 16 of 16 on extra point tries.

Hall is more accurate between the 40 and 50 yard lines (two of three) than he is between the 30 and 40 (one of four).

Relativity: Harvard Coach Joe Restic on turnovers: "They always hurt you when you lose, but you don't notice them when you win."

Harvard committed five turnovers in the first half Saturday, including four interceptions by quarterback Rod MacLeod.

Harvard fell behind the Terriers, 21-0, early in the second half, but closed the gap to one point with just under four minutes left in the game.

"We stormed back and got back in the ballgame," Restic said. "And I think that was commendable."