Stanford Faculty Discusses Bringing Back 'F' Grades

After nearly two decades without handing out a failing grade, Stanford University faculty this month discussed reinstating the dreaded 'F' on student transcripts.

But professors involved in the process said yesterday it is unlikely that any action would be taken on the issue. The subject of grading was first raised after a survey showed a majority of the faculty preferred the more stringent grading system. Defenders of the current system say 'F' grades would constitute an academic 'Scarlet Letter' which would unnecessarily demoralize students.

Stanford's present policy on reporting grades is based on a "record of achievement" concept. Since 1969, when the faculty voted to get rid of failing grades, Stanford has not kept any permanent record of courses students fail. The school records only courses in which they do passing work.

Though students may receive a "NC"--No Credit--on their quarterly report card for a failed course, all record of the course is expunged from the student's permanent transcript.

The transcript is the official record that graduate schools and employers see after a student graduates.

In November, Stanford's Committee on Academic Appraisal and Achievement presented a report to the Faculty Senate citing a faculty survey taken last year in which two-thirds of the respondents said they would prefer a "historical record" grading system, said Professor David Wellbery, former chairman of the committee. The historical system includes a failing grade.

Wellbery said the report was "self-initiated by the committee to look at grading practices at Stanford." The report did not call for action but merely presented the facts of the survey which resulted in some discussion.

Wellbury said though the survey has received a considerable amount of publicity, there has never been any major movement toward reinstating the old system.

In its presentation to the Faculty Senate, the committee did not recommend the change. It concluded that the change "would unfortunately and perhaps dangerously 'moralize' the practice of grading; it would create a 'scarlet letter' within the grading system. This could have deleterious psychological effects on students already burdened by pressures to perform."

A Question of Motivation

Professor Orrin W. Robinson III, current chair of the Committee on Academic Appraisal and Achievement, said that the survey may not have accurately reflected true faculty preferences. The question on grading was one out of many questions on other subjects, and only about 400 out of a possible 1400 faculty members returned the questionnaire, he said. About 275 preferred the traditional 'A' through 'F' system.

Supporters of reinstating the failing grade say that it will curb grade inflation and motivate students. But the committee said that after the new "no credit" system was institued in 1969, there was no long-term grade inflation. Robinson, who chairs the committee, said the 'F' grade "wouldn't motivate students any harder."

Even the Faculty Senate seems to be against the idea. Of the seven people who spoke at a public discussion of the topic, only one was in support of the change, said Robinson.

Arthur Coladarci, academic secretary to the university and a member of the faculty senate, said yesterday that "the senate has indicated no position" on the question of reinstatement, but may come up for a vote in the future. Coladarci said he is personally undecided on the issue.

The senate was reportedly "overwhelmingly opposed" to the 'F' grade in 1975 when the 'D' was restored to the transcripts.

Robinson said that the possibility of reinstating the old policy will be on the agenda when the committee meets next quarter and that it will take some time before any recommendation is made to the Faculty Senate.

The committee will send out smaller, more directed questionnaires to elicit a more accurate faculty response, he said. But for now, "nothing is about to happen," Robinson said.

Students said they are satisfied with the current grading system. Freshman Ben Myers said that the 'NC' provides a "lack of pressure that makes Stanford so exciting. 'F's are bogus." He added, "A transcript is supposed to be a record of your academic excellence, and if I fail a course, I wouldn't want it showing up."

Harvard students do not have it as easy. Like Stanford students, they will never have to face an 'F', but there is always the chance they can get an 'E.'