W. Cagers Nab First Win Over UMass

Duncan's 18 Points, 16 Rebounds Lead Crimson, 81-64

By Michael Stankiewicz

The University of Massachusetts women's basketball team trekked across the state last night trying to leave its troubles back in Amherst, where student protests have disrupted the day-to-day life on campus.

Unfortunately, UMass Coach Ethel Allman led her players into Briggs Athletic Center, home of the Harvard women's basketball team, and the Crimson added to the Minutewomen's turmoil, easily defeating its guests, 81-64, in front of 100 fans.

Harvard's victory marked its first triumph ever over UMass in 11 tries and its fifth consecutive win. More importantly, the Crimson (16-3) displayed its powerful weapons--great shooting, fullcourt pressure defense and a frighteningly-effective transition game--against its final out-of-league opponent in an attempt to justify its claim for a post-season tournament bid.

Big Time

The winner of the Ivy League is not guaranteed a place in the NCAA Tournament, so Harvard needs victories over teams from other conferences to be considered for post-season play, Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith said. UMass' conference, the Atlantic 10, has sent three teams to the NCAA Tournament in each of the last two years.

The Crimson jumped out to a 9-0 lead before UMass cut the margin to 18-12 eight minutes into the game behind sophomore center Helen Freeman's three short jumpshots from the lane.

But Harvard's Sarah Duncan answered with a three-pointer to increase the lead to nine, and the Crimson never again faltered on its way to its third overwhelming victory of the week. Harvard crushed both Penn and Princeton this weekend.

Duncan, who is leading the team in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots, poured in 16 first-half points as the Crimson built a formidable 45-31 lead. The junior forward finished the game with 18 points, 16 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots.

Harvard then clinched the victory with an 18-9 run after intermission, catapulting the lead to 23 points with thirteen minutes remaining in the game.

Shoot It

Tri-Captain Sharon Hayes fired in 17 points, while Tri-Captain Barb Keffer added 14 points and five assists in helping the Crimson to the win.

The Minutewomen (8-14) were led by forward Jeanne Michaelson's 20 points, Co-Captain Tara Lewis' 11 points and 10 rebounds, and guard Christel Zullo's eight assists.

"We had great rebounding, great defense, and incredible ball movement," Delaney Smith said. "This was a big game for us going into the second half of our Ivy League schedule."

The Crimson, which has had difficulty rebounding lately, utilized a man-to-man defense which made rebounding easier for Duncan, as well as for Hayes and Tri-Captain Beth Chandler, each of whom finished the game with six caroms. Overall, the team dominated the glass, outrebounding the Minutewomen by a solid 54-34 margin.

"It seemed like they were giving us everything today, both inside and the outside shots," Chandler said. "This third good game in a row has given us a lot of confidence."

"We were exhausted coming out of exams, which hurt us against New Hampshire, Brown, and Yale," Delaney Smith said, "but now we're ready. The seniors have done a great job of keeping everyone on their toes."

The sixth-year Harvard coach also added that she's expects the team's five seniors--Hayes, Keffer, Chandler, forward Nancy Cibotti, and guard Mary Baldauf, to keep the team from getting complacent when it gets ready for its seven remaining Ivy League games.

Crimson, 81-64 at Briggs Cage UMass  31-33--64 Harvard  45-36--81

UMASS (64): Michele Pytko 1-1--3; Beth Wilbur 3-0--7; Helen Freeman 4-1--9; Christel Zullo 1-0--2; Tara Lewis 4-3--11; Jeanne Michaelson 9-1--20; Tricia Riley 2-0--4; Keyburn McCusker 0-2--2; Sue Serafini 2-0--6; Christine Divine 0-0--0; Dianne Burke 0-0--0.

Totals: 26-62 8-18 64.

HARVARD (81): Sharon Hayes 6-5--17; Sarah Duncan 8-0--18; Beth Chandler 2-3--7; Barb Keffer 4-4--14; Heidi Kosh 3-2--9; Nancy Cibotti 1-0--2; Beth Wambach 2-0--4; Melinda Nelson 1-2--4; Dina Hadrick 0-0--0; Jennifer Mazanec 1-0--2; Jody Fink 2-0--4; Sandy Springer 0-0--0.

Totals 30-73 16-18 81.

Three-pointers: Serafini 2, Wilbur, Michaelson; Duncan, Keffer 2, Kosh. Fouled out: None. Total fouls: Harvard 14; UMass 16. Assists: Harvard 15 (Keffer 5); UMass 21 (Zullo 8). Turnovers: Harvard 14; UMass 12. Rebounds: Harvard 54 (Duncan 16); UMass 32 (Lewis 10).

A: 100.