The Duke Swaggers in for a Showdown

Varelitas

By Julio R. Varela

Vermont has its own Duke. Not the film legend. Not the presidential candidate either. He's not even from York.

His last name is Stump and in this year's Vermont-Harvard series, he has scored the two goals that have silenced the Crimson and have given the Catamounts its first sweep ever over Harvard.

His goal last night put UVM ahead, 2-1. The Cats never looked back and took a 3-2 decision. The victory gave UVM its first win in Cambridge since the 1979-80 season. His overtime goal in Burlington, Vt., January 3 led the Cats to a 4-3 victory over the Crimson.

His nickname is not that original but he has become the Duke of Burlington. And he has led the masses to usurp the regal Crimson.

Let the Duke speak:

"There's an aura about Harvard. They win sometimes before the first puck is thrown in. We came in here confident."

Last night's victory over Harvard had the Duke thinking. Can the Catamounts become one of the league's elite teams? They took a giant step last night in a rink where the Crimson has lost only twice in the past 44 games.

Quiet, the Duke speaks again:

"I'm not a goal scorer. But it was nice to score twice. It helped the team so much."

Now, the Duke and his mates will focus on gaining the home ice advantage for the ECAC quarterfinals. The Duke wants to play before his Burlington subjects.

As for the ECAC race, the Duke and his loyal followers have given it another twist. Harvard is now tied for first place. Vermont is tied for the fourth spot, which would give the Cats home-ice for the playoffs.

And for someone who is not a goal-scorer, the Duke has found the right place to be in. Twice. Not many Duke Stump posters are being sold at the Coop these days.

But that's the way the ECAC has gone this year. Harvard became the latest victim of an upset. With games like last night's, the ECAC playoffs may not be as predictable as they were last year.

All because of a guy named Duke Stump. Who admits that he's not a goal scorer. Don't tell that to his subjects.