Icewomen Will Host Ivy Tourney; Winner Gets ECAC Playoff Bid

By Alvar J. Mattei

Tomorrow, the Harvard women's hockey takes on Dartmouth (2 p.m., Bright Center) in what it hopes will be the first step in its second straight trip to the ECAC tournament.

But Harvard cannot take the Big Green, nor the other two teams--Princeton and Cornell--lightly. After all, the Crimson has had only one easy game this season against the Final Four teams, that being a 6-1 Harvard win over the Big Red January 10.

Why be optomistic about the chances for a Crimson triumph similar to last year's? Here's the big answer: Harvard's starting first unit is as dominating on the ice as Makharov, Fetisov, Krutov, Larionov and Lomakin are for the Soviet Olympic hockey team. Any one of the Russian five can get hot at any time, and so can the starting five for the icewomen.

Jane Kalinski: Known for her defensive skill, Kalinski--if beaten on a play--can make four quick strides and be in perfect defensive position. And don't try to take the puck away from her if you're behind her.

Char Joslin: The freshman sensation has become a sophomore sensation. She leads the team in goals scored, and is a threat to connect from anywhere. She can deke, fire a wrist shot in traffic or load up her famous cannon. Princeton keyed on her constantly last week but it didn't work--she got two third-period goals.

Julia Trotman: This red-headed right-winger plays in the formidable shadows of Joslin, Brita Lind and Julie Sasner. But the junior keeps on popping in important goals when most needed.

Brita Lind: This diminutive speedster wreaks havoc on the Ivy League. She can circle behind a defense and be off like a shot. Or if the defense keys on her speed, she can use her skills to come up with the puck on the boards.

Julie Sasner: Saz. The word evokes many images. Hustle. A great slapshot. Sacrifice. Two-way play. The senior's stellar collegiate hockey career is in its twilight, and she is hoping to go out with a bang. Sasner is the one person you would want with the puck at the blue line down by one with under 10 seconds left in regulation.

If this analysis of the starting five doesn't convince you that Harvard should be the favorite this weekend, then remember that the Soviets used to have an impenetrable goalie named Vladislav Tretiak...

Jennifer White: The third-year netminder is having her best all-around season. Steady inside her crease, she is arguably the most technically sound goaltender Harvard has ever had. And when White is in a situation where her technical game won't serve her, she lets her incredible athletic ability show.