Excerpts From the Report:

THE CURRICULUM

Our admiration for the Core Program stems not only from the underlying philosophy, but also from the way it has been implemented. It is a lively and cooperative undertaking. Extraordinary teachers have been brought into contact with freshmen. This offers a rich opportunity to those students while--just as important--stimulating a new vitality among many of the faculty.

We were impressed by the idea behind the science requirement of the Core Program and feel that it represents a helpful move toward answering a challenge which vexes all of our campuses: providing a substantive exposure to science for students who tend to be ill-trained, uninterested and anxious about their ability to deal with scientific subjects. We are aware that the development of demanding and sophisticated science courses for the Core Program remains a significant concern, and we are encouraged by an evident determination to pursue that issue.

We are gratified that Harvard declares its expectation that undergraduates demonstrate or reach a level of competence in quantitative reasoning. This sends an important signal to the rest of the academic world. Unfortunately, however, the current quantitative reasoning test offers no guarantee that the students have a meaningful level of manipulative skills, much less an understanding of quantitative and logical reasoning and the essence of mathematics as a discipline. The omission of mathematics itself from the Core, strange though this may appear, need not be fatal if some other adequate provision is made for students outside of the sciences to acquire mathematics skills and knowledge.

STUDENT SERVICES

It is no surprise to observe that Harvard is blessed with an extraordinarily able group of undergraduates. We certainly encountered a great many lively, curious and enthusiastic students. They seem to be aware of the remarkable educational opportunity being offered them. Yet we had the uncomfortable feeling, based on discussions with faculty, tutors, counsellors and students themselves, that too many are missing the full richness of curriculum and instruction Harvard offers. Those who do not excel are of particular concern. In making this comment, we recognize that there is a certain inevitability here, that not all students can be expected to perform at their peak all of the time, and that personal circumstances are bound to prevent a fair number from doing so, perhaps throughout their undergraduate years. But we sense that there are steps which can be taken to assist more effectively the less agressive, the mediocre and poor performer.

THE FACULTY

We found it difficult to recognize the Faculty, in any setting, acting as a body. What seems to prevail is a state of segregation: of senior ranks from junior; of junior ranks from the tutorial corps; and of department from department (this last despite the coincidence of activity in strong programs such as History and Literature.)

Members of the Faculty have obvious reponsibilities for instruction though they may set their own priorities for scholarly and creative work. And the academic units to which they belong must call on them constantly to be concerned with the curriculum of the department or program, with staffing matters and with student advising. They are demanding and time-consuming activities. Yet there is another entity, "the Faculty," which also needs and deserves the collective attention and individual commitment of its members.

We were surprised to hear from many faculty members that they feel that broad faculty concerns are not being addressed in forums charged with specific assignments and structured in a manner that could lead to significant recommendations or decisions. The perception extends to the Faculty Council, with which we met. Such vital faculty responsibilities as the creation of new courses, the formation and substance of the concentrations and the developments of instructional approaches and modes seem to be addressed extensively at the department level without full understanding of the impact on other departments and programs. Moreover, the process and criteria for assigning faculty positions and fellowships, determining workload (or other conditions of employment), sabbatical policy and like matters seem to be unduly mysterious, leading to unhealthy suspicion and cynicism.

We think it would be desirable, particularly in this setting where organizations in the administrative and service spheres already exist or can be created to meet most eventualities, for the Faculty to recognize its institutional role by establishing structures to meet more systematically the complex and far reaching demands of its instructional commitment.

CONCLUSION

Because of the educational ramifications and high cost of student services at Harvard these are important questions that deserve serious attention. But it is the last question--the role of the Faculty--which we found to be of special concern. The 'degree of senior faculty detachment from these matters is troubling. Faculty members themselves expressed significant concerns about the quality of advising students receive, particularly freshmen. Some suggested that they and their peers could play a more beneficial role. Students made the same point. We were somewhat surprised by the range of persons, whose undoubted talents lie in other fields, who advise freshmen.

Decentralization surely has an impact in this area. Faculty members are less accessible to students than we had expected and less aware than they ought to be of what is occurring outside of their departments. It also appears as if communication between the student support services and the Faculty could be considerably improved. The current situation leads too many students to design the opening stages of a course of study without the advantage of useful, informed faculty counsel. An atmosphere in which only the most agressive and persistent undergraduate is likely to experience the inspiration that is so often a result of faculty/student interaction outside the classroom seems inconsistent with Harvard's sense of mission and aspiration for its students.