Comic Jay Leno to Accept Elmer Award

Lampoon-Sponsored Prize to Be Given Wednesday

The Harvard community will get a glimpse of comedian Jay Leno's anvil-shaped jaw on Wednesday when the stand-up comic accepts the Harvard Lampoon's Elmer award.

After the award ceremony, which is scheduled to take place 7:15 p.m. in Sanders Theater, Leno will give a special performance, Lampoon officers said. Admission will be free and performance-goers will be admitted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The Elmer award is given in memory of Elmer Green, who was the Grand Curator of the Lampoon until his death in 1977. Green had lived in the Lampoon castle and was its caretaker for 50 years.

Past recipients of the award have included Pee Wee Herman, John Candy and Bill Cosby.

Leno was chosen by the Lampoon staff to receive the award, "for lifetime acheivement in comedy...He has established himself as the leading stand-up comedian. And everyone likes his giant chin," said David S. Cohen '88, outgoing president of the Lampoon.

Said John H. Lawrence '90, who is organizing the event, "Jay Leno is the Bill Cosby of comedy, and Bill Cosby has already received the Elmer award."

The award was not given last year. Paul R. Simms '88, outgoing Narthex of the semi-secret society, explained, "We ran out of steam. We were disorganized. We were too busy working on all our other secret projects."

This year's Elmer award ceremony will take place later in the school year than in years past. Normally given in the fall, the Elmer award was postponed to the spring this year to accomodate Leno's schedule.

"Jay Leno was too busy," Simms said. Leno performs approximately 300 nights a year, Cohen said.

Even though the Lampoon rearranged its scheduleto get Leno, one member of the organization, whichirregularly publishes a humor magazine, said thatthe comic was not their first choice.

Leno "is a funny man," said Lampoon GraphexGlenn P. McDonald '89, "We couldn't get GeorgeBush."

Barbara Pardue, press secretary of the GeorgeBush For President Campaign, said she was unawareof any attempts to contact Bush. She suggestedthat the Lampoon "probably contacted the office ofthe Vice President."

Asked about Bush's qualifications for theaward, Pardue said, "I think he's got a wonderfulwarm sense of humor. Jay Leno is very funny, buthe's a professional comedian.