Crimson Teams Cash in on Five Crowns

The Rundown

By Julio R. Varela

From the unfriendly streets of New Haven to the unfamiliar barns of Canton, N.Y., to the friendlier confines of Soldiers Field, the Crimson was in triumph this weekend. Five Harvard teams captured titles in each of their respective sports. As Al Davis would say, "Just win, baby."

This weekend's champions:

Men's Hockey: The Crimson had to defeat both Clarkson and St. Lawrence to win its third-straight regular-season ECAC title. Harvard did just that, disproving many critics' predictions and entered the ECAC Quarterfinals as the best team in the league.

Women's Swimming: Blodgett Pool was hopping Saturday night as the Crimson snagged the 1988 Eastern Swimming and Diving Championships. Not only did Harvard win the meet, but it also set several Eastern records. The East has a new swimming powerhouse.

Women's Ice Hockey: Bright Center was the site of the Ivy League women's hockey tournament. The Crimson proved to be an ungracious host as it defeated Pirnceton in the finals and earned a berth to the ECAC Final Four. The victory was Harvard's second-straight league title.

Men's Squash: Harvard traveled to New Haven to face the rival Elis--amidst an unfriendly crowd of screaming Bulldogs--and took a 6-3 decision from the hosts. The win gave the Crimson another national and Ivy League title. The victory also extended Harvard's winning streak to 69 games.

Women's Squash: Princeton entered Hemmenway Gym hoping to give Harvard a tough match. They couldn't and the Crimson ran away with a 8-1 decision and an Ivy crown to close out the Harvard's winning weekend.

For complete coverage of this weekend's champions turn to page eight.