Dashin' Dana

Casey at the Bat

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

Harvard freshman Dana Smith did not start last night, but he got to do just about everything else.

On a night in which Harvard's three seniors were playing at Briggs Cage for the final time, it was the freshman guard from Danbury, Ct., who stole the show.

Senior Tri-Captains Bill Mohler and Kyle Dodson, and guard Tom Morrison ceremoniously started the game, but it was Smith who made the big plays near the end of the contest.

He tallied four points in the final 35 seconds, including a pair of free throws with three seconds remaining, as the Crimson stalked off with a 80-76 victory over Penn Saturday night at Briggs Cage.

"He made some clutch plays at the end," Harvard Coach Peter Roby said. "I don't think you can really call him a freshman anymore."

After seeing limited playing time early in the season, Smith has been called on by Roby more often to spell junior Tri-Captain Mike Gielen. Smith played a career-high 26 minutes Friday against Princeton.

"He adds another ball handler and he's great defensively," Gielen said. "He's the kind of player you have confidence in."

Smith foreshadowed his late-game heroics late in the first half. He squeezed in seven points in the final three minutes of the half, including a twisting three-point play under the basket, and a leaning buzzer-beating follow shot at the end of the half.

But then there was the finale as Smith just took over the game. He scored six points as Harvard ended the contest with a 10-0 run, overcoming a 76-70 deficit and 30-point performance by Walt Frazier, Jr.

With the shot clock running down, Smith dribbled into the lane, faked, then put up the shot to put Harvard ahead, 78-76, with only 35 seconds remaining.

On the subsequent possession, Smith snatched the rebound of an errant Penn shot, and nailed a pair of free throw with just three seconds remaining to put the contest out of reach.

Smith finished the contest with a career-high 13 points in only 13 minutes. He finished 5-for-5 from the field, and sank all three free-throw attempts.

While Smith gave a preview for the next three years, it was the goodbye performance for Harvard's three seniors. Three-year starters Dodson and Mohler closed out their careers at Briggs. Reserve guard Tom Morrison started his first game as Gielen volunteered to take a seat.

"There are some things more important than me starting," Gielen said. "I just love it. It's the greatest feeling for the seniors to go out winners."

The seniors were happy for both the win and the growth of the Harvard program in the last three years.

"We set them up," Dodson said, "they're ready to go."

"I think [the program] will be in good hands," Mohler said.

The cagers won't win the Ivy League championship this year, but their effect could help future leaders on the team.

"I couldn't be happier for the seniors," Roby said. "They've given us a lot of leadership this year."

"It's really sad," said freshman lan Smith, Dana's twin brother. "Kyle Dodson has been like a big brother to me. He kind of guided me through the season."

Crimson, 80-76 at Briggs Cage Penn  39-37--76 Harvard  44-36--80

HARVARD (80): Neil Phillips 8-2--21; Kyle Dodson 4-0--8; Bill Mohler 2-7--11; Tom Morrison 0-0--0; Ralph James 4-6--14; Mike Gielen 2-1--5; David Lang 2-0--4; Scott Gilly 0-0--0; Kevin Collins 2-0--4; Tedd Evers 0-0--0; Malcolm Hollensteiner 0-0--0; Dana Smith 5-3--13.

Totals: 29-63 18-21 80.

PENN(76): Dane Watts 1-0--2; Ben Spiva 2-2--6; Hassan Duncombe 2-2--6; Walt Frazier 11-6--30; Tyrone Pitts 5-5--15; Jose Tavarez 0-0--0; Jerry Simon 4-2--10; Sean Dineen 2-3--7.

Totals: 27-58 20-24 76.

Three-pointers: Phillips 3, Gielen; Frazier 2. Fouled out: None. Total fouls: Penn 18; Harvard 21. Rebounds: Penn 33 (Pitts 8); Harvard 35 (Phillips 8). Assists: Penn 12 (Simon 4); Harvard 21 (Gielen 9). Turnovers: Harvard 14; Penn 16.

A: 1000.