College Admits First-Ever Spring Transfer Students

By Eric S. Solowey

Seven transfer students from schools around the world began their first Harvard classes yesterday under a new admissions policy that allows transfer students to enter at mid-year as well as in the fall.

The new policy is meant to "even out the flow of [transfer] students, thereby accommodating more" of them, said Georgine B. Herschbach, assistant dean of the College and director of the Office of Special Programs. Spring admissions are standard at most other universities.

Harvard currently accepts approximately 80 transfer students each year, but officials would not speculate as to how many more transfers would be accepted when the plan is in full swing.

Herschbach said the new transfers were accepted because additional housing opens up in the spring semes- ter, when students take leaves of absence. "Itis easier to find housing for people in Februarythan in September," she said.

The seven new transfer students are currently livingin Harvard-affiliated housing and are members ofDudley House. Some of the Dudley House studentssaid they were surprised at their springacceptances.

"I didn't even know there was a choice to beadmitted for the spring semester," said formerUniversity of Michigan student Catalina Girona'90, who applied last February for Septemberadmission.

And some students said they believed it wasespecially difficult to begin life at Harvard inthe spring semester.

"It's hard because we have to get startedwithin two days," said Alexandra C. von derGablentz '89, who has attended Mt. Holyoke Collegeand Berlin University. "I think that in the fall,you have about two weeks to get settled."

But the spring transfer students said theyreceived special attention, including a specialorientation meeting with Herschbach and Dean ofthe College L. Fred Jewett '57