Icemen Head South

Harvard Returns to ECAC Action

By Julio R. Varela

The Harvard hockey team returns to the topsy-turvy action of the ECAC this weekend when it goes down south to face Army tonight and Princeton tomorrow night.

The Crimson (12-5 overall, 12-2 ECAC), which suffered a tough 6-4 loss to B.U. in the opening round of the Beanpot last Monday, still holds first place in the ECAC after taking a two-week break for exams.

Coach Rob Reilly's Cadets (7-13-2, 1-11-2) have a high mountain to conquer if they are going to defeat the first place Crimson. Last November at Bright Center, Army did not have the firepower to sustain a five-goal opening period barrage by Harvard that gave the host a 6-2 victory.

Reilly has had to depend on a couple of youngsters to help bolster Army's offensive attack. Freshman center Rob Tobin (9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points) and sophomore wing Rich Sheridan (12-10--22) lead a Cadet offense that has averaged only two goals per each ECAC game.

Freshman goalie Brooks Chretian will start at net for the 11th-place Cadets. In 13 games, Chretian has posted a 4.61 goals-against average and a .852 save percentage.

The Tigers, fresh from a 4-3 upset over Colgate at Hamilton, N.Y., rely on junior sensation John Messuri. Messuri (11-13--24, ECAC) is the league's third-leading scorer. Overall, Messuri has chalked up 13 goals and 19 assists.

Last November at Bright, Princeton (8-10, 7-7) entered the final period with a 3-0 lead. It took a three-goal third period and a Tod Hartje overtime goal for Harvard to defeat the stingy Tigers.

Coach Jim Higgins starts two freshmen, Ron High and Mark Salisbury, at net. Salisbury--the benefactor of the win over Colgate--is just back from an injury and has posted a 3.41 goals-against average, along with a .876 save percentage.

The Crimson is led by freshman Peter Ciavaglia (4-15--19 ECAC). and Captain Steve Armstrong (9-8--17 ECAC). Goalie John Devin remains the league's leading goaltender with a .904 save percentage and a 2.55 goals-against average.

Harvard's defense, anchored by Jerry Pawloski and Don Sweeney, has allowed less than three goals per game, the best mark in the league.