Princeton to Invade Harvard, Hemenway

By Michael J. Lartigue

They call the football game between Harvard and Yale "The Game." In squash, the match between Harvard and Princeton used to be called "the rivalry."

But during the 1980s "the rivalry" has taken on a new title: "The Match."

Technically, "The Match" is nothing more than a regularly scheduled dual match. But the victor of "The Match" becomes the frontrunner for the Ivy League and national titles.

"The Match" usually features some of the top amateur squash players in the country. This year is no exception. Princeton's Jeff Stanley, Keen Butcher and Harvard's Darius Pandole and Co-Captain Russ Ball are ranked one through four, respectively, in the country.

Last year Harvard successfully defended its national title at Princeton. overcoming a large, abusive and bullhorn-equipped Princeton crowd en route to a 6-3 win.

Tomorrow afternoon the racquetmen will try to take the most important step toward their sixth straight Ivy and national titles. The Crimson will also be defending its 64-game winning streak, the second longest streak in collegiate sports history.

The UCLA basketball team won 88 straight games between 1971 and 1974.

"It has traditionally been the biggest match of the year." Jon Bernheimer said. "Our line-up is stronger down low. I think we're stronger at every position."

"Along with Yale, this is probably our biggest match." Senior Darius Pandole said. "Jeff Stanley is a great player and a great guy. We're 1-1 against each so far this season. It should be a great match."

The Princeton squash team has not won at Harvard since 1982. But with a strong and deep squad, the Tigers are hoping that will change.

"We're trying to stress team unity," Princeton freshman Chris Stevens said. "We're going to fight for every single point. It's going to be an intense match."

In the first-ever pre-season Ivy Round Robin Tournament in November the Tigers dropped a 5-4 decision to Harvard. But both teams were missing players from their lineups.

"Bascially, we're going to go out there and beat them," Harvard's Jim Masland said." It's pretty even at the top. But we definitely have an advantage down low."

Ironically, Princeton was the last team to defeat the Crimson, capturing a 5-4 decision on February 6, 1982 at Hemenway Gymnasium.

More ironic still, this year's match will be played at the same time, at the same place and on the same date.

The Crimson has been training hard in preparation for "The Match." Harvard Coach Dave Fish wants his team to be prepared for any situation--especially close matches. The Crimson has been running recently so that it will have more stamina in the fourth and fifth games.

"It should be a close match," Princeton Coach Bob Callahan said. "Both teams are evenly matched from one to nine. Our players are excited about the match."

Closer to the bottom, Harvard's Doug Lifford and James Gilfillan are seasoned veterans, who are used to the pressure of big matches. Lifford is returning to the team after taking the first semester off. Harvard will also benifit from the return of Co-Captain Jack Polsky, who has been bothered by injuries all season.

Both sides are tentative about makingpredictions.

"We're very, very equally matched teams," Ballsaid. "Personally, I can't wait until the match.It'll be an incredible match. It'll come down tothe team that wants it more."

The caution stems back to the Hemenway matchtwo years ago. It was then, during the era ofKenton Jernigan '87, that Princeton rolled intotown cocky, overconfident and hell-bent on crusingto the national championship.

Harvard sent the cocky, overconfident and brashteam back to Princeton with a 7-2 thumping.

"The match comes down to depth," Colbournesaid. "Both teams are very strong at the top. It'sbeen a really intense rivalry. TheHarvard-Princeton match has always been a bigmatch."

Callahan described the relationship between thetwo schools as "friendly but competitve."

"Princeton has been our biggest match by far,"Ball said. "It's a very intense rivalry. They're avery tough team. They have the number-one and-tworanked players. They are a very deep and strongteam."

"It's going to be a damn good match," Princetonsophomore Ted Price said. "It's going to be verycompetitive. It's going to be a great match towatch."

"We're going to have our hands full,"Princeton's Bob White said. "We're going to giveit our best shot."

"Both teams are very strong," Callahan said."We're stronger than we've been in the past. Wehave a lot of experienced people down low."

Diplomatic

The nation's number-one racquetmen will alsohost Franklin & Marshall Sunday afternoon. Lastyear, the racquetmen recorded a tough 7-2 decisonover the Diplomats.

The Diplomats are coming off a hotly contested5-4 loss to the Tigers.

"F&M is a little weaker than last year, but itstill should be a tough match," Co-Captain JackPolsky said. "We can not have a let-down after thePrinceton match."

"Franklin and Marshall is a tough team,"Pandole said "It's a very talented team. They havegood depth. We will have to get up for them afterPrinceton.