Storm Blankets Boston Area

Ten Inches of Snow Slow First Days of Spring Term

By Liam T. A. ford

Harvard Real Estate sent its workers home early. The School of Continuing Education cancelled classes. And Logan Airport grounded its planes.

In other words, it snowed quite a bit yesterday, leaving the Harvard campus with a wintery backdrop for the first week of spring semester classes.

A National Weather Service spokesman said that the storm dumped eight inches at Logan Airport. Logan closed three times yesterday because of snow-clogged runways, according to Airport spokesman John P. Spellman.

The snow also forced the Massachussets Turnpike Authority, which clears the drifts from area highways, to close its administrative offices early.

Harvard's School of Continuing Education cancelled classes early yesterday afternoon because most students do not live within walking distance, said the school's Administrative Assistant Delise Battenfield.

The different departments of Harvard Real Estate all sent their employees home at different times, since each department made its own decision about sending workers home. Some workers did stay at the agency to handle calls.

Snow-covered streets kept several disabled Harvard students from attending classes. The students said that shuttle buses took them around the University, but blocked curb ramps prevented them from moving about yesterday.

"It can be pretty devastating for a couple days," said Guy Wallace, former president of ABLE (Advocacy for a Better Learning Environment), an organization for Harvard's disabled students.

"I missed a whole shopping day because of it," Mark Sakaley, a student in the Kennedy School's mid-career program said. "Most of the University continued to have classes today. That's fine for most people, but for someone who uses a wheelchair it's impossible to get to the K-School."

Sakaley said that even though the groundskeepers did a good job of clearing main arteries, he could not reach his car because of snow-covered streets and sidewalks. In order to make certain that routes to their destinations are cleared, he said, disabled students must give the grounds maintenance department a list of times they need walks cleared.

Because students do not have regular schedules during shopping period, advance notice is impossible, said Sakaley, who was unable to leave his house yesterday.

"It has to be a coordinated effort, but that coordination has not been as complete as it could be," saidSakaley, the chairman of Project Inclusion, anorganization for disabled students at theK-School.

Frolicking in the Snow

Scores of Harvard students took advantage ofthe white wonderland which Harvard's lawns becameonly three days after the warmest recordedFebruary day in Boston history.

Snow-football enthusiasts said they found thegame more enjoyable than ordinary football becausesnow "adds an element of slipperiness" to thegame.

"It's the great equalizer," said PhilipMcCraker '90, describing the way snow takes awaythe advantage of the more skilled team. "Anythingcan happen on a snowy day."

"I think we're more of a cold-weather team thanthey are," said Benjamin Dover '90. "It mighthelp."

At Lowell House two students chased each otherthrough the courtyard, throwing snowballs. WhenElaine Marzluff '89 caught up with Douglas Wick'89 she splattered his face with snow.

They ceased their antics just long enough toexplain what they were doing. "We started outbuilding a snowman, but the snow's just a littletoo flaky," Marzloff said. "She hasn't ever builta snowman before--she's from Florida."

Some students followed the lead of twopre-school students who sledded down WidenerLibrary's steps in midafternoon.

"We're going to use Union trays," said onestudent who only identified himself as Jeff. "It'sgreat fun.