Science Promises Nerve Cures

Dowling Details Progress in Neuroscience

Within 15 years, scientists may be able to treat injuries to the central nervous system by adding chemicals that make damaged nerve tissue grow back, Professor of Biology John E. Dowling told about 20 people at the Cambridge Forum last night.

Dowling, who is Leverett House master and the author of a recent book on human sight, said advances in neuroscience could lead to new treatments for previously incurable disorders. He said blind people might someday "see" through a system of electrodes connected to the brain's visual cortex.

Calling neuroscience "one of the most active branches of all science," Dowling said the techniques of computer science and psychology are becoming increasingly relevent to his field. He said brain research is "burgeoning all over the world," but added that science still knows surprisingly little about the brain.

Dowling said his own work focuses on vision and the retina, which he termed "the approachable part of the brain."

By studying neurochemicals, scientists may eventually understand the processes behind such diverse mental phenomena as memory, the placebo effect and acupuncture, Dowling said. He said such work might eventually lead to treatments for Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia.

The Leverett master said he encouraged undergraduates considering careers in neuroscience to major in biology or biochemistry, which he called "a wonderful entry into neuroscience."