The Ivies on ESPN

The Eclectic Notebook

By Michael J. Lartigue

This fall, ESPN will present live exclusive coverage of Ivy League football, Ivy League Executive Director Jeffrey H. Orleans announced recently.

ESPN will televise a total of 19 games during the next three seasons. Trans World International (TWI) will produce the telecasts in association with ESPN.

For the past four years, TWI has produced the Ivy League Game of the Week, which has been carried by PBS stations nation-wide. At least six games will be televised by ESPN during the 1988 season, with kickoff times scheduled for early afternoon, generally at 12:30 p.m.

All-Ivy

Four Harvard women's squash players and three Crimson men's squash players were named to All-Ivy teams. Freshman Stephanie Clark, Harvard Co-Captain Diana Edge, sophomore Jenny Holleran and Co-Captain Lucy Miller were named to the 10-member team.

In addition, Edge and Holleran were named first team All-Americas and Stephanie Clark--who will participate in the national junior championship at Dartmouth today--was named to the second team.

Harvard men's Co-Captain Russ Ball, Jack Colbourne and Darius Pandole were selected to the All-Ivy team. Ball and Pandole were also named first team All-Americas, while Colbourne was selected to the second team.

Edged

Edge was the third Harvard women's squash player to win the Women's Intercollegiate Squash and Racquet Championship last weekend.

Edge, who finished as the nation's number-one amateur player, crushed her competition, beating three of her five opponents by 3-0 scores and the other two by 3-1 scores. To win the title, Edge had to defeat her chief nemesis for the last three years, Princeton's Demer Holleran.

Holleran was the two-time defending champion, but Edge ended that reign with a 17-18, 15-7, 15-9, 15-8 thrashing.

"She wiped [Holleran] out," Harvard women's Associate Coach Jack Barnaby said. "I've never seen a superior athletic display in any athletic sport. I've never seen better women's squash by anybody, anywhere. She was absoultely fantastic."

Soccer League

The newly-formed American Soccer League will begin its first season next month. The outdoor league was formed in September of 1987 and consists of 10 teams from the East Coast, including the Boston Bolts, two teams from Washington, D.C., four from Florida, and one each from Maryland, New Jersey and New York. It's the first outdoor league in the U.S. since the North American Soccer League folded in 1983.

Fanatic Fans

Vermont's ticket allotment of 1200 for each night of the ECAC Tournament (which begins today and ends tomorrow) was sold out in 30 minutes.

Quote of the Week

"We had tons of family there. Even though I'm her sister, she didn't make any exceptions for me. She's not going to get a Birthday present this year."--Harvard Jenny Holleran, after losing to her sister, Princeton's Demer Holleran, 3-0, at the WISRA finals.