Gallaudet Pres. Resigns

WASHINGTON--About 2500 Gallaudet University students and supporters claimed victory in a Capitol Hill rally yesterday after Elisabeth Ann Zinser resigned as president of their school for the deaf, but they vowed to continue their protests until their other demands are met.

Zinser, who is not deaf and does not know sign language, was named to the post last Sunday but announced her resignation early yesterday after protesters virtually halted all classes this week. Zinser said she had stepped down in response "to this extraordinary social movement of deaf people."

Students and activists marched across the Capitol lawn bearing signs and banners and chanting "Deaf President Now," "No Hearing President" and "Deaf Power."

"We're still winning. We're still winning," said student leader Jerry Covell. He said he was pleased that Zinser had resigned but he urged the students to continue their battle to force out the chairwoman of the university's board of trustees and to gain a majority of deaf members on the board. Currently, four of the 20 board members are deaf.

Gary Olsen, executive director of the National Association of the Deaf, told the students their protests had helped the cause of deaf people nationwide.

"Deaf people want to control their destiny," he said. "We will win. I promise you."