Leftism?

Mail

To the Editor of The Crimson:

On March 7, 33 members of the staff of the Harvard Crimson declared their preferences for president of the United States, and every one chose a Democrat. One hears a great deal these days about biases of various sorts, including biases in the press, so it is natural to ask how biased an outlook this vote betrays.

The American population in recent presidential elections has divided within a few percentage points of a 50-50 split between Democrats and Republicans. In a population thus equally divided, the probability of drawing 33 Democrats and no Republicans by chance is less than one in 8 billion. The Crimson surely does not present a representative American political outlook. In a population divided three to one in favor of Democrats, which is the proportion among our undergraduates indicated by the Crimson's poll of students, the chances are somewhat better: less than one in 13,000. Even in the Harvard context, the Crimson's position is far to the left. Richard J. Herrnstein   Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology

Recommended Articles

Democrat Roll
O n November 5, 1996, the American people, in a coast-to-coast electoral landslide, re-elected a Democratic president for the first
RNC, DNC Square Off In Law School Debate
The Hatfields and McCoys of American politics were civil yesterday afternoon as the chairs of the Democratic and Republican National
As Bush Nears New England, Students Begin Campaigns
George W. Bush won't arrive in New England until later this week, but students on both sides of the campus
Grand Old Party Parties
NEW ORLEANS--The Democrats may still win the White House, but the Republicans were the big winners when they selected New
A New Diversion
Opportunity eyeballs the young radical (or reactionary) in the face. With the political campaign about to swing into its last
A View of Wisconsin
S PRING comes late to Wisconsin, and northern farmers often wait well into April for the first robin, which heralds