Warriors Visit Matthews Arena Tonight

Northeastern Welcomes the Nation's Top Independent School

By Julio R. Varela

It has been one unforgettable year for the Merrimack Warriors.

Besides capturing another Division II ECAC East title, Merrimack was the top-ranked Division I independent in the nation. Its 32-4 record set a new school record for most victories in a seasson. The Warriors also have a Division II-III East Hobey Baker recipient in senior Jim Vesey.

What more can a school that is not part of a major college hockey conference ask for?

A bid to the first round of the NCAA Tournament that doesn't find the Warriors packing up their bags and heading out West.

Merrimack (the number-six seed in the West) got that also, as it visits Matthews Arena tonight and tomorrow to face Northeastern (the East's number-three seed) in a two-game, total-goals series.

The Huskies (19-12-1), making their second NCAA Tournament appearance, captured their first Hockey East title Monday night with a 4-3 victory over Maine, one of the four teams that earned a bye in the tournament.

"We're obviously flattered and honored," Merrimack Coach Ron Anderson said, "but we are certainly the long shot [to win the national championship]. We are certainly a tremendous underdog."

That's what Fern Flaman's Huskies thought a couple of months ago when they traveled to Merrimack, only to lose in overtime, 3-2.

"It'll smarten them up," Flaman said, referring to his players' reaction to the overtime loss.

Northeastern's offensive attack is led by Kevin Heffernan (19-24--43), Dave O'Brien (16-27--43) and Harry Mews (16-23--39).

In 29 games, goalie Bruce Racine has posted a 3.46 goals-against average and an. 892 save percentage.

In 1982, the Huskies advanced to the Final Four, where they lost, 6-3, to eventual champion North Dakota. Northeastern trounced New Hampshire, 10-4, in the consolation game to capture third place in the tournament.

"We certainly don't match up with Northeastern," Anderson said, "but we're a pretty well-balanced team."

Vesey's impressive 38-53--91 clip, the best mark in the nation, anchors a talented Warrior offense. In his career, Vesey has accumulated 240 points, another school record. Freshman Ben Lebeau (35-35--70)--whose numbers also set freshmen school records--and Rich Pion (32-37--69) round out the Warrior scoring.

Goalie Jim Hriunak has shattered the record book this year for the Warriors. He has posted a 29-4 record, a 2.17 g.a.a., a .926 save percentage and four shutouts.