Looking Back

Harvard Hockey

The Big Banner went to St. Lawrence. The Saints captured the ECAC Championship earlier this month.

The Biggest Banner will go to one of the eight teams remaining in the NCAA Tournament. Teams from Maine to Merrimack to Minnesota will battle for the right to be called the nation's number-one college hockey team.

Had things gone a little differently last weekend, Harvard might still be among the elite eight. But the Crimson--despite detailed road maps--could not find the net often enough and fell to Michigan State, 11-8, in a NCAA Tournament total-goals series at Bright Center.

Last weekend, Harvard's season went "ker-plunk," as if it were dropped off Anderson Bridge and into the Charles River. Still, the Harvard season had highlights. Here are a few film clips of the best and worst of Harvard hockey 1987-88.

Biggest Blowout Loss: The first game was the worst game.

Team USA came to Bright Center for opening day November 8 and proceeded to hit homeruns over every wall in the ballpark.

Harvard goalies John Devin and Michael Francis had their backs up against the net all evening.

Switch-hitting Lane MacDonald (who will be playing for Harvard again next year) did not advocate the USA bombardment. "The score," MacDonald said, "should not have gotten this high." MacDonald--who was treated with tender loving care around the net by his once and future teammates--picked up a pair of assists in the game.

Team USA 15, Harvard 3.

Biggest Blowout Win: Icemen maim Yale in Game.

January 17, Team USA put on Harvard uniforms and picked apart the Elis at Bright Center. Yale's All-ECAC goalie, Mike O'Neill, looked like a prime candidate for the sieve hall of shame.

Harvard 8, Yale 1.

Worst Shot: It is the equivalent of a two-foot putt, or a lay-up.

February 26, Andy Janfaza broke in all alone on an empty Clarkson net.

It is the equivalent of hitting the broad side of a barn with a brick or catching a softball with a fish net.

Andy Janfaza wound up and shot.

It is the equivalent of answering the question, "Who was the first president of the United States?" or multiplying two times two.

Andy Janfaza shot and watched his shot go wide left of the empty net.

Best Shot:Like some mean kid on the block, Peter Ciavaglia drew Michigan State goalie Jason Muzzatti out of his house last Friday.

"Come here, kid, I've got something to show you," Ciavaglia said. Muzzatti was curious, so he ventured out of his front door.

"Come on kid, it's something special," Ciavaglia said.

Muzzatti opened the gate in front of his house.

"It's really neat," Ciavaglia said.

Muzzatti crossed the street.

"You bozo," Ciavaglia said, and shoved a hanful of mud down Muzzatti's shirt.

Friday, Muzzatti went halfway to the blue line to stop a Ciavaglia breakaway. Ciavaglia laughed, sidestepped him and sent the puck into the MSU net.

Greatest Comeback For: November 20, Princeton was looking at its first victory in Cambridge since 1980. Princeton was looking at its first shutout over Harvard. With 10 minutes left in the game--and Princeton holding a 3-0 lead--the Tigers were looking at a long, gorgeous slash in the win column.

But while Princeton was looking, the Crimson was cookin'.

Tiger goalie Ron High become Ron Low after this one.

In 10 minutes, Harvard scored three goals. Then, in overtime, Harvard scored again.

Greatest Comeback Against: February 27, St. Lawrence scored three goals in the last two minutes. Harvard, however, had built itself a three-goal bunker and was hiding out during the bombing raid.

Harvard 6, SLU 5.