Bradley Endorses Dukakis for President

Senator Lines up Behind Mass. Gov. in New Jersey's Full-Court Press

JERSEY CITY, N.J.--Presidential contender Michael S. Dukakis picked up an endorsement yesterday from Sen. Bill Bradley (D.-N.J.), who said the Massachusetts governor is the Democrat most likely to beat Vice President George Bush.

Bradley, who has been mentioned as a potential presidential candidate himself, promised to campaign for Dukakis both in New Jersey--which holds its primary on June 7--and around the nation.

"I believe our nominee and our new president for a new America will be and should be Michael Dukakis," Bradley said at a news conference in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty. Dukakis stood by his side.

"Among the Democratic candidates, he is the one who can beat George Bush," Bradley added.

Bradley said Dukakis could defeat the vice president "because he is tenacious, innovative, resilient and disciplined. And he has the personal depth and life experience that embodies the promise of America."

"This is a very important endorsement because it comes from one of the most respected and one of the most accomplished public figures in America today," Dukakis said.

Bradley said he hoped the endorsement would end speculation about his entering the race. The senator, a former Rhodes scholar and New York Knicks basketball star, has said repeatedly he does not feel ready for the White House.

"The plan I have for 1988 is helping Michael Dukakis," Bradley said.

He also said he did not expect to be considered as Dukakis' running mate. Bradley said such a ticket would be too heavily weighted toward the Northeast.

"I think Massachusetts and New Jersey have a lot in common, but I don't think they go together on a national ticket," Bradley said.

Bradley delivered his sought-after endorsement in an old railroad terminal at Liberty State Park, in clear view of the Statue of Liberty. The terminal, now a museum, was used at the turn of the century by immigrants who came through Ellis Island.

Dukakis said his mother, a Greek immigrant, recalled coming through the New York entry point in 1913.

"Today, her son is a candidate for the presidency of the United States," Dukakis boasted.

Bradley also praised the other Democrats seeking the nomination, singling out the Rev. Jesse Jackson as "running a campaign that challenges the best in all of us."

But Bradley predicted Dukakis would get the nomination.

"I believe Michael Dukakis can win. I believe he will be the next president of the United States," Bradley said.

Bush won an endorsement in New Jersey on Monday from GOP Gov. Thomas H. Kean, who--like Bradley--is his party's most popular and influential politician in the state.