Big Man, Big Stand

Basketball's Bill Mohler

By Colin F. Boyle

Harvard Tri-Captain Bill Mohler is a big man on campus. And an even bigger man on the basketball court.

Whether the 6-ft., 8-in. center is pulling down rebounds or rejecting shots, Mohler has been the anchor of the Harvard defense.

"Billy has developed into a force on defense," Tri-Captain Mike Gielen says. "We feel no reluctance trying to press because we know that if someone gets by us, then Bill will be back there under the basket."

In his four years here, Mohler has led the Crimson in blocked shots three times. This season, Mohler is third in the Ivy League in rejections.

"Generally, I'm the biggest guy out there, so I'm supposed to block shots and take up space in the lane," Mohler says. "I have to be on the lookout for everyone else's man, because essentially I am a goaltender."

"He's a shot blocker," Harvard Coach Pete Roby says. "That's part of his value to the team."

But while the senior swats shots like Lisa Schkolnick does flies, Mohler's rejections have had their price. The Kirkland House resident has had a tendency to pick up a lot of fouls.

So, Roby has been bringing in Mohler as a substitute. That strategy has kept Mohler foul-free for the first few minutes of every game, and available down the stretch.

"Most of Bill's fouls have come as a result of helping out on other people's men," Roby says. "The reason we bring Bill off of the bench is to have him late in the game for his defense and his rebounding."

While some might think that starting the game on the bench is a demotion, Mohler uses it to his advantage.

"I like being the second center," Mohler says. "I can see what's going on in the game, and what I have to do to adjust."

Having Mohler available at the end of games also gives the Crimson an additional offensive option. With the Crimson's patient offense, Mohler has been getting the ball inside more frequently for shots.

The center, who averaged just 5.5 points per game in his sophomore and junioryears, has increased his scoring average to 6.5points a game this year, despite a slow start.

"I've always been a steady improver," Mohlersays. "I've been getting better every year. Ithink now I am a better scorer."

Improvement played a big part of Mohler's earlybasketball career. Although he also played hockeyand baseball; Mohler decided to opt for basketballon the advice of a grade-school coach.

"In the sixth grade, my basketball coach toldme I would be 6-ft., 8-in., and that I should playbasketball," Mohler says. "So, I tried out for histeam, and he cut me."

But Mohler made the team the next year, andkept improving all the way through his senior yearat St. Albans High School in Washington, D.C. Hisprowess on the court and in the classroomattracted recruiters from Ivy League schools, aswell as from Maryland and Wake Forest.

But Mohler turned down the ACC scholarshipoffers, and selected Harvard, a choice he says henever regrets.

"I'm glad I didn't go to Maryland," Mohlersays. "We've had a few less scandals here."

After putting in his time for three years,Mohler was selected as a tri-captain for thisyear's team--a role he performs by deed ratherthan word.

"He's not a big rah-rah guy," Gielen says. "Heleads with his experience."

"It's just playing hard and using yourexperience out on the floor," Mohler says.

After leading his squad to a surprisinglysuccessful season, the biochemical science majorhopes to go to graduate school and pursue a careerin research.

"When I applied to grad schools, I thought thatmy GPA would be higher if I hadn't played ball,"Mohler says. "But if I spent more time in thelibrary, I would be putting more emphasis on theimportance of individual work. I think it's goodthat I've been able to work with other people."

But with a smile, Mohler adds, "I'm trying toconvince myself of this for when I get the shockof rejection letters."

If he can defer his enrollment into gradschool, Mohler says he is considering playingbasketball professionally in Europe for a year.Whatever he does, Mohler will leave a big gap inthe Crimson when he departs.

"I'm sure we're going to miss his physicalpresence inside to block shots and rebound," Robysays