The Clubs

Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson:

After reading The Crimson's recent article, "Knocking on the Final Clubs' Closed Doors," I felt a sudden empathy for Gary Hart. I, like Gary Hart, had been victimized by a reporter out for a big scoop. Unfortunately, as a result of the reporter's hubristic hype and salacious sensationalism, I fear that the final club debate will degenerate into an even more misunderstood dialogue of the deaf.

Let it be known that several of my comments and off-the-record quips were used out of context. Although I did affirm the reporter's inquiries about the existence of parties involving women from other universities and the existence of living quarters and pool tables in some of the clubs, I in no way implied that such living quarters exist expressly for "one night stands" and that pool tables exist as the next best alternative for such nocturnal interludes. This is not only an uncomfortable prospect, it is a bizarre one as well. Let rumors be rumors, but also let the facts be the facts.

I agreed to the interview on February 25 only after getting the reporter's word that he would not print the name of the final club to which I belonged in his article. I wanted my remarks to be considered individual and free of any association to a particular club. Although the reporter let me down, I want to mention here that my comments were not specific to any one club.

I joined a final club because of the comaraderie. I went inactive because I believe that the same opportunities should be extended to the women of Harvard/Radcliffe College. By not doing so, the clubs--intentionally or unintentionally--perpetuate sexist stereotypes. Unfortunately, these views were by and large ignored in the article at the expense of constructive discussion.

To be sure, one of the limitations of student journalism is the editing process. Perhaps some of my statements were originally correct and used in context, but were shuffled and distorted in the wee hours of the night. This is unfortunate, but forgiveable. What is unforgiveable, however, is the hyped misrepresentation of a sensitive and volatile issue, which leads to further entrenchment and hostilities. If articles like this one become a regular part of the final club debate, it will be a cold day in Bangladesh before it takes place on a rational and thoughtful level. Michael A. Zubrensky '88