UHS Survey

Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I read with interest your recent editorial on the University Health Services: "Counting on Care" (February 20). The student survey will provide limited statistical information to be used as a complement to the larger ongoing effort by UHS to invite feedback and criticism. This vital process of eliciting continuous feedback is managed by the assistant to the director/patient advocate, a full-time position created about 15 years ago. The responsibilities of this person are primarily to hear, represent, and respond to patient concerns. The patient advocate also serves as a liaison to two advocacy groups, the Student Health Advisory Council for undergraduates and the UHS Consumer's Council for staff and faculty, which actively represent the interests of the Harvard community in the provision of care by UHS by reviewing UHS policies and procedures and interviewing candidates for certain professional positions. Suggestions and complaints about administrative concerns and quality of care are received via the Comments Boxes located in every clinic at UHS and by direct calls, letters and drop-ins to the patient advocate. It is these comments on individual incidents, institutional problems and other issues which represent the true "survey" of patient concerns which UHS udnertakes on a daily basis. Patient complaints have been translated into substantial reforms and have fostered a number of improvements in health care at UHS as we continue our long-term commitment to meeting the changing needs of the community. Lisa Chertkov '85   Assistant to the Director/Patient Advocate