Red Aiming to Blot Out Knights

It is always difficult to defeat a team three times in one season. It is even harder to defeat it four times.

Third-seeded Cornell (18-7 overall, 15-7 ECAC) will be attempting to do just that when it hosts sixth-seeded Clarkson (14-13-3, 10-9-3) tonight and tomorrow in an ECAC quarterfinal matchup in Ithaca.

Coach Brian McCutcheon's Big Red downed Clarkson, 4-2, earlier this year at Lynah Rink and escaped with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Golden Knights at Clarkson.

"Both games were very tight and very exciting," McCutcheon said, "and I expect things won't be a whole lot different in that regard."

Cornell is led by freshman Trent Addison (18 goals, 17 assists, 35 points), junior Chris Grenier (12-23--35) and sophomore Casey Jones (9-22--31).

Freshman goalie Corrie D'Alessio, who recorded 50 saves against RPI last weekend, has been outstanding at net. In 22 games, he posted a 2.71 goals-against average and compiled a .911 save percentage.

Sophomore goalie John Fletcher heads Clarkson's defensive unit. Fletcher, last season's Rookie of the Year, has produced a 3.16 g.a.a. and a .909 save percentage, while compiling a 13-9-3 record in 28 games.

Senior center Luciano Borsato (14-27--41) leads the Golden Knights in scoring. He is followed by classmate and right wing Steve Williams (14-19--33). Junior Mike Morrison (19-11--30) provides additional scoring punch for Clarkson.

"In addition to their leading scorers, they are very well coached on the defensive end, and Fletcher is playing well," McCutcheon said.

The Big Red will attempt to rebound from last week's 5-1 loss at the hands of Vermont.

"We had a bit of a letdown against Vermont, but we've played pretty well the last few weeks," McCutcheon said.

Cornell defeated RPI, 3-2, in overtime last week and McCutcheon attributes the Vermont letdown to the fact that a win or a loss would not have changed Cornell's seeding for the tournament.

Cornell has the home ice advantage and the rowdy fans of Lynah Rink on its side. It has also posted the best overall ECAC Tournament record. In 19 previous appearances, the Big Red is 40-14-1, for a .736 winning percentage. Cornell has also captured seven championships.