Angry Netmen Destroy Penn, 7-2

By Michael J. Lartigue

The last thing you want to do is play a team that is mad.

Unfortunately for the Penn men's tennis team, it met up with a mad Harvard squad. And the Crimson took its frustrations out on the hapless Quakers.

After dropping a heartbreaker to Columbia Friday, the netmen evened their Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association (EITA) record with a 7-2 thrashing of Penn in Philadelphia. Saturday's win put the Crimson (7-5, 1-1 EITA) into a tie for second place in the EITA.

"Penn's first mistake was scheduling us after a frustrating match the day before," netman Roger Berry said. "It's second mistake was showing up."

"It was nice to come back the next day and beat the heck out of Penn," Berry added.

Things started off well for the Crimson, with Co-Captain Arkie Engle leading the way. Engle's match was never close, as he took control from the beginning to smash Mitch Spiegel, 6-1, 6-1.

Last year, Engle recorded a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Spiegel.

In the number three singles, Berry captured a 6-4, 7-5 win over Craig Freeman, while Jon Cardi was in a marathon match against Nick Dubois.

Berry stormed to a 3-0 lead in the first set, but Freeman rallied to cut the deficit to 3-2. Berry won three out of the next four games to win the set.

In the second set, the sophomore again jumped out to an early lead, before Freeman fought back to take a 3-2 advantage.

Both players held their serves until the set was tied at 5-5. Berry then took control of the match with hard serves and fine net play. The sophomore did not give up a point during the last two games to win the match and set.

After Cardi won a tight first set, 7-5, Dubois rebounded to win the second set, 6-2. The two players then traded games, before reaching a tiebreaker, which Cardi won.

Rob Soni and freshman Ravi Kumar each disposed of their opponents in quick fashion. Soni recorded a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Bob Surgent, while Kumar won by the same score over Danny Medvene.

Mark Leschly lost a grueling three set decision to Dan Levine. With Leschly leading, 5-4, in the third set, Levine was able to break Leschly's serve. Both players were able to hold their serves to send the match into a tiebreaker.

In the tiebreaker, Leschly dropped a tough 8-6 decision to give Levine the set and match.

Doubles

In doubles action, Engle and Leon Palandjian teamed up for a straight-set victory over Spiegel and Levine.

At number-two doubles, Cardi and Berry cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Surgent and Dubois, while Kumar and Soni dropped a tough *** 6-4 decision to Medvene and Freeman.

"Jon's finally proven that he's not all hard shots," Berry said, referring to Cardi's touch volleys. "Arkie is starting to get back the animal instinct of winning again."

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard leads the series against Penn, 45-11, with seven shutouts...The last time Penn beat the Crimson was in 1974...Harvard Coach Dave Fish is 12-0 lifetime against the Quakers...The first match played against Penn was in 1920...Harvard has now won 331 individual matches, while surrendering only 146...The netmen will host Navy Friday and 19th-ranked West Virginia Saturday.