Batsmen Put Terriers in Dog House, 3-2

Baxter's Return Sparks Crimson; Weston, Hope Preserve Victory

By Colin F. Boyle

The Harvard baseball team knew that the return of ace lefthander Bob Baxter would be a cure for some of its pitching woes.

But it never expected the cure to be contagious.

Yesterday at Soldiers Field, Baxter and freshmen Cody Weston and Zach Hope combined to hold Boston University to three hits as the Crimson edged the Terriers, 3-2, in a fierce pitcher's duel.

Hope (1-1) earned his first collegiate win by keeping B.U. (1-2 Greater Boston League, 3-9 overall) hitless over the last three innings.

"Zach's going to be a big factor," Harvard Co-Captain Frank Morelli said. "We need him and Vic McGrady to be our closers."

Terrier southpaw Paul Perillo (2-1), who yielded just one single to the Crimson (3-2 GBL, 4-5) over the first six innings, took the loss.

Baxter, who hadn't pitched in a game this year because of tendonitis in his left elbow, returned to the mound to start for the Crimson, and the sophomore looked like he was ready to pick up where he left off a year ago. In 1987, Baxter posted a 5-1 record and an incredible 0.63 ERA.

"It's fun to get back into it," Baxter said. "I've been pitching on the side for a while, so it wasn't like I was starting out cold, but there's nothing like being out in a game again."

In four innings of work, Baxter scattered a pair of singles and struck out five hitters. Both hits came with two outs. Baxter was simply in complete control.

"He was throwing great," Morelli said. "He was throwing a little harder than last year."

Unfortunately for Harvard, the Terrier sophomore on the mound was matching Baxter pitch for pitch. Perillo gave up no walks and just one hit--a bloop single by Morelli in the fifth which the senior was thrown out trying to stretch into a double--over the first six innings.

Facing the breaking ball pitcher was very frustrating for the Crimson hitters. Perillo consistently painted the corners and moved his pitches inside and out with great effectiveness.

"He was so slow, but he got his pitches over the plate," Morelli said. "Control is so important in a game like this where there is so little hitting."

B.U. scored first in the fifth inning. Baxter was scheduled to pitch only four innings, so Harvard Coach Alex Nahigian brought in Weston to start the fifth.

Weston walked the bases full with one out, but got Terrier John Bradley to hit a slow roller down the third base line. Third baseman Aron Allen had a chance at a double play, but couldn't come up the ball as Joseph Roberts crossed the plate with the first run of the game. Weston retired the final two batters to get out of the inning.

B.U. got through to Weston in the top of the seventh inning. Second baseman Mario Ferrante walked to open the inning and advanced to second on Mitch Goldstein's single to left. After Weston balked the runners to second and third, Nahigian brought in Hope to put out the fire.

Designated hitter Doug George blasted a pitch down the first base line, but Harvard's Rich Renninger made a diving stab, and stepped on the base to retire George. Renninger turned and tried to catch Goldstein off second base, but his throw to shortstop Dave O'Connell was late. Ferrante scooted home, barely beating O'Connell's throw to the plate.

Harvard finally broke through against the tiring Perillo in the bottom of the seventh. Centerfielder Dan McConaghy walked and moved to second when shortstop Mike Kefler booted leftfielder Marcel Durand's hard grounder. After Co-Captain Frank Caprio singled hard to left to load the bases, Terrier Coach Bill Mahoney brought in freshman reliever Jeff White.

"[Perillo] said he couldn't hit the spots any longer, so I had to take him out," Mahoney said.

White couldn't hit the spots either, as he walked Renninger on four pitches to send McConaghy across the plate for the Crimson's first run.

After Morelli struck out, Allen atoned for his earlier error by walking with a full count to tie the score at two. O'Connell then hit a long sacrifice fly to centerfield to score Caprio with the go-ahead run. Crimson 3, Terriers 2

Harvard  B.U.

Name  AB  R  H  RBI  NameAB  R  H  RBI K'joyan,DH  3  0  0  0  Bradley,3B< Tab>5  0  1  0 McC'ghy,CF  3  1  0  0  C'nn'ham,CF   4  0  0  0 Durand,LF  3  1  0  0  Fisher,C4  0  0  0 Caprio,RF  3  1  1  0  LaBr'sse,RF< Tab>4  0  0  0 R'nninger,1B  2  0  0  1  Kelfer,SS   4  0  0  0 Morelli,C  3  0  1  0  Roberts,1B3  1  1  0 Allen,3B  2  0  0  1  Ferrante,2B3  1  0  0 O'C'nnell,SS  2  0  0  1  Roy,pr0  0  0  0 Cobb,2B  3  0  0  0  Goldst'n,LF3  0  1  0 D'Monte,pr  0  0  0  0 George,DH  2  0  0  0 Palmer,pr  0  0  0  0 Totals  24  3  2  3  32  23  0 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  89  R  H  E B.U.  0  0  0  0  1  0  1< Tab>0  0  2  3  3 Harvard  0  0  0  0  0  03  0  X  3  2  2

Game Wlnning RBI: O'Connell (1)

Errors: Kalfer 3. Allen, O'Connell. Left on Bass: Harvard 2, B.U. 3 Double Plays: Harvard 0, B.U. 2. 2B: None. 3B: None HR: None. SB: Bradley. Caught Stealing: Konjoyan. SAC: O'Connell. Harvard  IP  H  R  ER  BB  K< /B> Baxter  4  2  0  0  0  5 Weston  2  1  2  1  4  2 Hope  3  0  0  0  1  2 B.U.  IP  H  R  ER  BB  K Perillo  5  2  3  1  1  3 White  11/3  0  0  0  3  1 Rosen  2/3  0  0  0  0  0

Weston pitched to two batters in the second. Perillo pitched to three batters in the seventh.

Hit by Pitch: None. Wild Pitch: Hope. Passed ball: None. Balk: Weston.

A: 75

Game Wlnning RBI: O'Connell (1)

A: 75