Batswomen Battered; Princeton, Penn Roll

By Julio R. Varela

It was a weekend in which the Harvard softball team was introduced to some good pitching and came up empty.

In its first test of the Ivy League waters, the Crimson was shut out three times--twice against Princeton Saturday and once against Penn yesterday.

The only bright spot of the weekend for Harvard was a 5-2 victory over the Quakers in the first game of a doubleheader yesterday afternoon in Philadelphia. Pitcher Lora Rowning went the distance, giving up two hits and striking out three.

Ellen Cox rapped three hits and drove in a run. Co-Captain Sharon Hayes and Beth Wambach also drove in runs for the Crimson (5-4 overall, 1-3 Ivy).

Unfriendly Greetings

In the second game, Penn's Linda Algerial pitched a three-hitter to blank Harvard, 8-0. Harvard committed five errors in this game, as sophomore pitcher Lee Polikoff was greeted by 11 Quaker hits.

Mari Kai and Sue North each collected two hits for the Quakers.

Saturday afternoon, Princeton had its shutout brooms, sweeping Harvard, 4-0 and 3-0. The Tigers (29-3) captured victories 27 and 28 against the Crimson. Princeton split a pair of games with St. John's yesterday afternoon.

Rowning started both games for the Crimson. Tiger hurler Angela *** limited the Crimson to just three hits to earn her fifth shutout in as many outings.

Dawn Roberts improved her record to 8-1 with a seven-strikeout shutout performance in the second game. Shorstop Chris Stuppi extended her hitting streak to 19 games. Stuppi also hit safely in the two games against St. John's.

Harvard will host Boston College Thursday at Soldiers Field.