Netwomen Control Quakers, 9-0

By Michael J. Lartigue

The nation's 23rd-ranked Harvard women's tennis team (6-4 overall, 2-0 Ivy) recorded its third straight shutout, capturing a 9-0 victory against Penn.

"It was a really good match," netwoman Jamie Henikoff said. "We all gained a lot of confidence after some tough losses over spring break."

In doubles competition, the Crimson dropped only one set during the three matches. The netwomen have won 24 of their last 25 individual matches in straight sets.

"Everybody just played really well," Co-Captain Cyndy Austrian said. "We're just overpowering other teams with our style of play. We're coming into the net aggressively and returning volleys for winners."

At number three doubles, Austrian and Kathy Mulvehal crushed Tara Sutkenberg and Christine Nelson in stright sets, 6-0, 6-4.

Christina Dragomirescu and Amy deLone followed up their teammates with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Nina Greene and Andrea Askowitgz.

The number-one doubles match proved to be the most exciting match of the day. After dropping the first set, 7-5, Co-Captain Kristin Bland and Henikoff rallied to win the second set, 6-3 with great teamwork and fine net play.

After falling behind, 5-4, in the final set, the duo rallied to win the final three games and the match.

After the netwomen took a 3-0 lead after doubles, the squad only needed two matches to seal its third straight victory and 29th straight Ivy win.

Cyn

Harvard got more than it neeeded, as the Crimson won all six singles in straight sets.

At number-three singles, Austrian completely dominated Alana Fishberg. Austrian consistently charged the net and had plenty of volley winners en route to a 6-3, 6-1 victory. Fishberg managed to win only eight points during the second set.

DeLone cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Askowitgz. Delone jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the first set before Askowitgz was finally able to win a single game.

In the second set, Askowitgz and deLone battled to 2-2, each trading a service break. But deLone won the next four games to win the set and match.

DeLone's victory clinched the win for the Crimson.

At number four singles, Mulvehal recorded a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Becky Friedman. Mulvehal scored some impressive forehand winners and drop volleys en route to Harvard's sixth victory of the day.

Bland started off slowly, dropping two of the first three games to Nina Greene. Greene increased her lead to 5-3 before Bland turned up the action, winning the next four games and set.

When Bland is Exciting

The second set was all Bland. The junior quickly jumped out to a 5-0 lead before Greene was finally able to hold her service game. Bland put Greene out of her misery with several forehand cross-court winners.

Martha Berkman cruised to a 6-4 victory in the first set against Vicki Gardener. The second set was a little closer, as the two players broke each other's service game twice. At 5-5, Berkman took control of the game with serveral perfectly placed drop volleys to win the final two games.

At number two singles, Henikoff, who has a forehand that is similar to Steffi Graff's, captured a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Leslie Simon.