Exiled Editor Raps Noriega

By Lukas P. Barr

The exiled editor of Panama's last independent newspaper yesterday attacked the Reagan Administration for failing to generate enough world opposition to force ruling Gen. Manuel Noriega to step down.

Roberto Eisenman, the editor of La Prensa, a newspaper closed by Noriega nine months ago, said because relations with Panama are formed by many different U.S. agencies, there has not been one effective anti-Noriega plan. Eisenman spoke to an audience of approximately 200 at the Kennedy School.

Because the Panamanian movement against Noriega has widespread support from people of all economic classes and the present military regime is wearing down, Eisenman said, however, that the conditions are ripe for political change.

Eisenman, who has been in exile for the past two years, warned that he thinks the Panamanian unrest will escalate. "We are weeks away from a major crisis," Eisenman said.

Eisenman said that because the Drug Enforcement Administration continues to work with Noriega and the Central Intelligence Agency is protective of the general, verbal commitments to oppose his rule mean little.

Noriega is compelled to remain in Panama because the drug suppliers will not allow their operative to leave his stronghold alive, Eisenman said. This is because these suppliers anticipate that Noriega would cooperate with authorities upon his departure in an attempt to gain leniency, he said.

The former editor stressed that only recently, in reaction to heavy media attention, has the Reagan administration moved to challenge Noriega's stronghold on the country.