Harriers Fail to Keep Winning Streaks Alive

Crimson Women Second, Men Third

By Chris Thorne

Stumbling into Saturday's triangular meet against Dartmouth and Brown, the Harvard men's and women's track teams suffered their first defeats of the season.

Both Crimson teams entered the meet with untarnished 1-0 records after beating local rival Northeastern in last weekend's season opener.

Dartmouth ran away with the team championships, winning the women's meet with 86 points and totaling 94 points in the men's competition.

The Crimson women earned 53 points to overtake Brown by eight for second place, ending the day with an overall record of 2-1 (1-1 Ivies).

In the throwing events, senior Jennifer St. Louis won the javelin with a throw spanning 118-ft., 9-in.

Freshman Katrina Posta was runner-up in the triple jump with a leap of 34-ft., 10 1/4-in., and teammate Jocelyn Prince placed fourth. Jennifer Dunne took fourth in the long jump, and Anne Duderstadt placed fourth in the high jump.

On the track, sophomore Tina Lount won the 1500 meters, and Lise Vansen took third. Vansen later ran the 3000 meters and placed second. Freshman Dorcas Mamboleo won the 400 meters, followed closely by teammate Carol Kirton. Sophomore Beth Pfefferle took first in the 800 meters with a time of 2:20.5, and Harvard flew past Dartmouth and Brown in the women's mile relay with a time of 3:57.04.

The Harvard men's team only managed to score 40 points, finishing 54 points behind Dartmouth and losing to Brown by 29.

Harvard's highlights in the men's competition were in the field events. In the throwing area, Co-Captain James Russell won the hammer with a throw of 194-ft., 7-in. Harvard swept first, second and third in the javelin with Shawn Carew winning the event, followed by senior William Krause and freshman Darrin Duda. In the shot put, freshman Nick Sweeney took third with a throw of 49-ft., 1 1/2-in.

Crimson men won both the triple and high jumps, with Rutledge Simmons winning the triple jump with a leap of 45-ft., 5 1/2-in., while junior Chris Sullivan placed third in the triple jump and took first in the high jump, topping 6-ft. 8-in.