Destroyed by Darius

At the Mike

After covering the Harvard men's squash team for the past three years, the only logical thing for me to do was to start playing squash.

Since I had seen the best, I wanted to play against the best. So I challenged Darius Pandole, Harvard's number-one squash player, to a match.

Mistake number one.

Pandole grew up playing in India, where he was the All-India Junior champion three times. He was named All-America and All-Ivy three times. He led the team to four Ivy and national titles.

In India, squash players use a soft ball, as opposed to the hard ball American players use. So Darius and I agreed to use a soft ball.

Mistake number two.

We scheduled the match for Friday. I showed up.

Mistake number three.

Was I worried? Yes.

The day before I played Darius, Harvard squash Coach Dave Fish and his assistant, Jon Anz, both promised me the number-one position on the team next year if I beat Darius.

That was all the incentive I needed. I started to have visions of beating Darius. I could see it now: "Michael Lartigue Defeats Princeton's Jeff Stanley; Harvard Gets Seventh Straight National Championship."

Michael Lartigue, "the phenomenon." I would be on the front pages of The New York Times, The Washington Post, even The Harvard Crimson.

During the warm-up, I knocked several shots past Darius. I could see the fear in his eyes. He was wondering how I was able to hit three straight shots passed him. So was I.

To start the match, I pounced on his serve, hitting a reverse corner shot that died in front of him.

I thought, "This is easy. I can beat this guy in 20 minutes and still make dinner." Darius then informed me that you can only score on your serve when you play with a soft ball.

Recommended Articles

Racquetmen, Tigers Tangle
Going into the 1986 season, the nation's top-ranked Harvard men's squash team knew that its toughest challenges would be Franklin
Racquetmen Finish a Superb Year
It was a long but successful year. It was the year that THE STREAK was supposed to be broken. It
Racquetmen Top Williams, 8-1, Gear Up for Princeton Match
Sure it's a familiar story. But it's pleasant one nonetheless. The Harvard men's squash team added another to its line
Squashed
To the Editors of The Crimson: Regarding your article about the Harvard-Williams squash match on January 30 Kenton Jernigan won
B.C. on Tap For Icewomen
The women's hockey team with attempt to repeat the men's Monday night Beanpot heroies in the third annual Women's Beanpot.
Bugging Out About the Wonders of Squashing
When my freshman year roommate informed me over the phone that she played squash, the first words out of my