Proctor Chosen as Conductor

By Gia Lee

After a nation-wide search, the New York Youth Symphony selected Samuel T. Wong '84, currently a Harvard medical student and freshman proctor, as its music director for the 1988-1989 season.

"Harvard Medical School is not the obvious route to a conducting career, but I'm encouraged by the examples of Jeffrey Tate and Giuseppe Sinopoli," Wong said yesterday, referring to two famous conductors.

Youth Orchestra officials said they selected Wong in part because of his youth. "For the past 25 years, the orchestra's board of trustees has encouraged and leaned towards giving younger and generally less experienced people an opportunity for growth and development of their talents," said Steven D. Shaiman, manager of operations of the orchestra.

"Sam had a certain dynamism," said Chairman of the Orchestra's Board of Trustees, Leslie J. Garfield. "In view of his youth, tremendous enthusiasm, his knowledge of music, and the way he related to orchestra members and they to he, he emerged as the leading conductor."

Although Wong will graduate from the Medical School in June, he has studied a wide variety of subjects.

When Wong graduated from high school in 1980, he also graduated from the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto which he attended during summers and at night school. He then attended Harvard College and graduated magna cum laude in Applied Mathematics.

Despite his current scientific focus, Wong said he has always hoped to have a musical career. "I think it's enriching to have studied medicine," Wong said, adding, "People gravitate to their natural loves."

Thus far, Wong has been a guest conductor of the New England of Conservatory Youth Philharmonic Orchestra, assistant conductor of the Boston Philharmonic and a conducting fellow of the Aspen Music Festival.