Boys

MAIL:

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I am writing in response to Susan B. Glasser's "Boys and Sports" (April 16, 1988). I object strongly to the article, which claims that all boys and men in America think and talk only of sports and statistics.

For example: "the reading of the sports section is a tribal rite of passage for men, indicating that they, too, will take their place among the armchair major leaguers and couch/potato homerun hitters." Being a boy who has no interest in sports, I found the tone of the piece simplistic and sexist in its generalizations about men.

The Harvard Crimson and the Harvard community rightfully condemn those who espouse racist or sexist points of view. Why then, should Ms. Glasser feel no remorse in publishing her sexist theories of male socialization? Why should groups of men getting together and enjoying each other's company automatically and regularly be held up for ridicule? The answer to those questions could help to explain the poor quality of the present dialogue between the sexes on campus. I find intolerance of any kind offensive and I urge The Crimson to aspire to a higher journalistic standard. Hugh Taylor '88