Rolling Netwomen Crush Bulldogs, 7-2

Crimson Continues Ivy Dominance

By Michael J. Lartigue

Everyone in the bleachers at Beren Tennis Courts expected a close match. Both coaches and players foresaw a tight match. Even President Bok expected a close match. There was tension in the air and determination in the eye of each player.

But after everything was said and done, the Harvard women's team walked off the courts with a convincing 7-2 victory over the Elis.

The victory increased the squad's record to 15-7 (4-0 Ivy) and extended its Ivy winning streak to 31 straight victories, and season winning streak to five games.

Harvard did the Elis one favor. The netwomen's win saves Yale the hassle of making reservations for the NCAA Tournament at UCLA next month, since the Elis are out of the contention for the Ivy title.

"It was a very good victory for us," Harvard Coach Ed Krass said. "We were up for the Yale match. We knew it was going to be a challenge. Beating them in all three doubles provided a sting to the whole affair."

In the number-one doubles match, Harvard Co-Captain Kristin Bland and Jamie Henikoff defeated Molly Quest and Andrea Williams, 6-2, 6-2, to give the Crimson a lead it would not relinquish.

After falling behind, 2-1 in the second set, Bland and Henikoff, the nation's 39th-ranked team, took control of the match by consistently scoring volleys and keeping the Elis off track with deep and hard serves.

The duo won the next five games to win the set and match.

Meanwhile on the adjacent court, Harvard's Amy deLone and Christina Dragomirescu cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Elizabeth Baldwin and Lynn Rosentrach.

DeLone and Dragomirescu used fine net play and teamwork to destory the Elis. The duo consistently found open holes in Yale's defense.

In number-three doubles, Harvard Co-Captain Cyndy Austrian and Kathy Mulvehal captured an easy 6-1 decision in the first set against Jennifer Mahoney and Katherine Linz.

The second set was a little tighter, with Austrian and Mulvehal pulling out a 6-4 victory. With the games tied at 3-3, Austrian and Mulvehal unleashed scorching forehand shots and perfectly placed volleys en route to winning three of the next four games.

"Harvard's a top-notch team," Yale Coach Becky Chase said. "They're especially strong in their doubles. They put us in a precarious position after doubles. We needed to win five of six matches."

In the number-five singles match, deLone had the easiest match of the day, capturing a 6-2, 6-1 victory. DeLone overwhelmed Jennifer Brown, breaking Brown's service game seven out of nine times.

"It was a stepping-stone for us," Bland said. "It was good for us to go out against a tough team and play really well."

At number-one singles, Bland lost a tough 6-4, 6-1 decision, while Henikoff captured a 7-5, 6-3 decision over Quest.

After Mulvehal dropped the first set to Brown, 6-3, the Crimson junior rallied to win the final two sets and match, 6-2, 6-3. Mulvehal adjusted well to the high volleys by Brown and the slower tempo of the Yalie.

Austrian dropped a tough, 7-5, 3-6, 6-2 decision to Williams. Austrian lost a close first set, the feisty senior was able to use her serve-and-volley game to capture the second set, 6-3.

Jacki Farrell closed out the match with a 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Elizabeth Baldwin.