Dem. Candidates Spar Before Wisconsin Vote

The presidential candidates took their politicking to Easter church services yesterday as they battled for victory in this week's campaign double feature--the Colorado caucuses and Wisconsin primary.

Republican Pat Robertson, whose candidacy is all but derailed by Vice President George Bush's march to the nomination, said he has a mandate from God and won't stop until he is president of the United States.

Saying he would run again in 1992, Robertson told about 3000 people at Denver's Happy Church, "I am not going to quit...That is His plan for me and for this nation."

But with Bush's nomination virtually assured, the 1988 focus is now on the Democrats.

Sen. Albert J. Gore Jr. '69 of Tennessee, who has staked hopes of reviving his trailing campaign with a good showing in Wisconsin on Tuesday, picked up the endorsement this weekend of The Milwaukee Journal.

The newspaper cited Gore's "impressive record" in arms control, military reform and environmental protection, and called him "one of Congress' best informed members on the future of science and technology."

Mass. Gov. Michael S. Dukakis, who shares frontrunner status with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, was asked by reporters outside a Milwaukee church if he shared the view of some Democrats that Jackson is not electable because he is Black and too liberal.

"I don't think there is any way of knowing," Dukakis said.

Democratic Party Chairman Paul Kirk also sidestepped that question Sunday when interviewed on ABC-TV's "This Week With David Brinkley" program.

Electability

"We haven't nominated anyone yet," Kirk said. "The Democratic Party will do its best to nominate, I hope, the most electable candidate in order to win in November."

Speaking to overflow crowds at two Denver churches, Jackson continued to hammer home the themes that have brought a burgeoning response to his campaign.

At the First Baptist Church, where 1500 people jammed inside and at least as many listened to him on loudspeakers outside, Jackson said:

"I sense as I travel around the nation something is going on. There are several thousand people outdoors--something is going on. From Aspen to Alabama--something is going on....Hope has been unleashed."

Later, in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, people lined the street for a block to see Jackson arrive at