Batswomen Fall in Opener, 3-0, But Nab Nightcap from Providence

By Julio R. Varela

It was the kind of doubleheader that would send the heads of offense-crazy softball purists shaking in frustration.

Yesterday's twinbill in Providence, R.I., between the Harvard softball team and Providence had strong pitching and solid defense. The bats, however, were left inside the dugout.

Led by pitcher's Marie Pelligrino's three-hitter, the host Friars shut out Harvard, 3-0, to give the Crimson its first loss of the season.

Harvard bounced right back in the second game on sophomore Lee Polikoffs six-hitter and a three-run fifth inning to defeat Providence, 3-1.

"It was probably Lee's strongest outing of her year and a half here," Harvard Coach John Wentzell said. "She mixed her pitches well."

Overall, the Crimson (3-1) managed to slap only nine hits in the doubleheader. But the biggest hit of the day halted any ideas of a Providence sweep.

The honor went to Co-Captain Mary Baldauf.

With the second game scoreless after four innings, Jennifer Clawson singled, and Brita Lind drew a walk. After Beth McNamara sacrificed the runners over, Baldauf banged a triple into left center to give the Crimson a 2-0 lead. Baldauf scored on Nancy Prior's fielder's choice.

"It was kind of frustrating," Baldauf said, "when we weren't getting any hits during the first game."

But while the Crimson couldn't crack Pelligrino, Providence resorted to some playground tactics to score two runs off Harvard hurler Lora Rowning in the fifth inning.

With the Friars clinging to a 1-0 lead, Joanne Mastropolo wanted to sacrifice Jeanine MacAlese to second base. MacAlese started to steal, which forced shorstop Co-Captain Sharon Hayes to cover the bag. Mastropolo faked the bunt and drove a shot right through the hole Hayes just left.

Soon enough, Providence had a three-run lead and a pitcher that wasn't about to give up any runs.

"[The fake bunt] was the key to their two runs," Wentzell said.

Hit and Miss

Baldauf, Hayes and Elizabeth Crowley were the only Harvard players who managed to hit safely against Pelligrino. Crowley got the only extra-base hit of the game, a double, for the Crimson.

"[Pelligrino] really shut us down," Wentzell said.

In the second game, Baldauf and Crowley each collected two hits in the Crimson victory.

Harvard returns to Cambridge tomorrow afternoon to face Smith in a game that should get the Crimson back on the offensive track. After the game with Smith, Harvard heads down south to Penn and Princeton to start its Ivy slate.