Netwomen Pick Apart Lethargic Lions, 9-0

By Michael J. Lartigue

If yesterday's Harvard-Columbia women's tennis match were a fight, it would have been stopped after the first punch.

Forced by inclement weather to Palmer Dixon Courts, the Crimson dominated the Lions from the first serve, and captured a 9-0 victory in front of 50 spectators.

The Crimson, ranked 23rd in national polls, did not drop a single set to the Lions.

"If we play well, we can demolish whomever we play," Harvard Co-Captain Cyndy Austrian said. "We all have so much confidence in each other."

"We came out ready to play," Harvard Coach Ed Krass said. "This is the type of start we needed. Everybody played well. It was a good start for the Ivy season."

At first doubles, Co-Captain Kristin Bland and freshman Jamie Henikoff cruised to a 7-6, 6-4 victory. The duo of Christina Dragomirescu and Amy deLone recorded a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Kathrin Wanner and Amy Perkel, while Austrian and Kathy Mulvehal took an easy 6-2, 6-2 decision against Happy Ho and Lise Abrams.

After Mulvehal won the first set of her singles match, 6-0, the question going into the second set was, "Will she give up at least on game"? The junior continued to make incredible shots and dominated the match at the net with crisp returning shots to win the second set by the same score.

At number three singles, Austrian clinched the match for the netwomen with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) victory over Wanner. Austrian controlled the baseline and continually hit backhand and forehand shots pass Wanner.

After taking a tortuously close first set, 7-6, Bland continued her fine net play and powerful serves to clinch her match. The junior defeated Ho, 6-4, in the second set to give her squad 7-0 lead.

Dragomirescu cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Abrams, while deLone defeated her opponent in straight sets to give the Crimson an 8-0 advantage.

Henikoff, the freshman sensation, cruised to a 6-3 victory over Seals in the first set. The second set was completely dominated by Henikoff, as she recorded Harvard's fourth 6-0 decision.

The freshman frustrated Seals with excellent groundstrokes and powerful forehand shots.

The netwomen will host Penn this afternoon at Beren tennis Center. Penn is already trembling at the prospect.

Yesterday, Harvard reminded Columbia--and any other team which was paying attention--that it is the best in the East.