Laxwomen Advance to Semis

Squad is Only a Game Away From NCAA Finals

By Andy Fine

The Harvard women's lacrosse team took its first step towards a national championship Wednesday by defeating William and Mary, 7-6, in Williamsburg, Va.

The first round victory means the Crimson (12-2 overall, 6-0 Ivy) advances to tomorrow's semifinals against top-ranked and undefeated Temple.

Harvard's explosive first half attack sparked the Crimson to victory, and outstanding defense by goalie Kelly Dermody held the Tribe off. The Crimson controlled the ground balls and possessions, and outscored the Indians, 6-1, in the first half.

Karen Everling put Harvard on top 44 seconds into the game, off an assist from Co-Captain Leelee Groome. The Tribe would not get as close as one goal again until the final minute of the contest. Co-Captain Cindi Ersek then tallied twice off assists from Groome and Katie McAnaney in a nine-second span, giving the Crimson a 3-0 lead with less than three minutes elapsed. Two goals from Kate Felsen sandwiched a Groome score, and Harvard led 6-0. The half ended with William and Mary trailing 6-1.

The second half was a different story. If not for exceptional goaltending Dermody (15 saves), Harvard probably would have been able to trade in its cleats and sticks for calculators and source books this weekend.

"Kelly had a good game," Harvard Coach Carole Kleinfelder said. "She was tough when we needed it."

Rather than concede the game to the visitors, the Tribe made it interesting. They scored five goals in the second half while Harvard could only counter with Char Joslin's single unassisited tally. William and Mary closed the gap to 7-6 with 59 seconds remaining, but the Crimson held off the Indians, earning a weekend trip to Philadelphia.

"In the first half, we went for broke and they couldn't stop us," Groome said. "In the second half, they gradually came back."

The difference in halves probably can be attributed to the intense heat in Williamsburg, which hit 91 degrees. Using only two substitutes in Wednesday's game, Harvard was undoubtedly fatigued in the second half.

"I should have used the bench more," Kleinfelder said. Kleinfelder said she plans to show some depth tomorrow against the Owls.

Kleinfelder may have to use a reserve in the starting lineup for Ersek, who separated her shoulder late in Wednesday's contest. The senior's game status is uncertain.

"We'd need about three people to replace Cindi," Dermody said.

Kleinfelder agreed. "Cindi is the hardest person to replace. She gives so much in the game. She is the heart of our team."

"We can do it though," Kleinfelder quickly added. "It just means everybody can give 10-15 percent extra."

Harvard may have more heat problems, as tomorrow's game will be played on artificial turf. The Crimson is 1-2 on turf this season. Harvard defeated Penn in March but fell to both Temple and Loyola College over Spring Break.

"We'll have to play 50 minutes against Temple," Kleinfelder said.

"Temple's tough, but we know what we have to do," Groome said. "We've played them before."

The Owls defeated Harvard 13-8 over spring vacation in Philadelhia.

Temple's lacrosse team would not be the first top-seeded Owl team to lose in an NCAA Tournament this season. Duke upset Temple and its star Mark Macon in the March NCAA Basketball Tournament in March with great defense from Blue Devil forward Billy King. Harvard will need such an effort from Dermody, Maggie Vaughan, Julia French, and the other defensive stalwarts.

In tomorrow's other semifinal, Lafayette plays Penn State, an easy winner over Northwestern Wednesday. The winners meet next Saturday for the national championship. A Harvard victory tomorrow followed by one next Saturday would give the Crimson its first national title since the 1904 men's golf team.

Laxmen

The Harvard men's lacrosse closes out its regular season at tomorrow at Ohiri Field against Dartmouth. If Harvard defeats Dartmouth, it stands a good chance to nab a bid in the NCAA tournament.

Bids for the 12-team tournament go out Monday, and if Harvard (10-3 overall, 3-2 Ivy) does garner a bid, it is likely to be an away game.

Harvard's only other NCAA tourney entry was the 1980 team, which lost in the opening round to John Hopkins, 16-12.