Netmen Cannonball Cadets, Big Bad Red

By Michael J. Lartigue

It wasn't much fun, just successful.

The Harvard men's tennis team barely broke a sweat this weekend, probably wishing it was soaking up rays on the banks of the Charles instead of drowning a pair of opponents at the Beren Tennis Center.

Harvard looked more like a prizefighter than a tennis squad, clobbering Eastern Intercollegiate foes Army, 8-1, and Cornell, 7-2, and upping its record to 10-8 (3-4 EITA).

"It was nice to win again and big," Harvard netman Rob Soni said. "Even though we're out of the Ivy race, we're still going to do our best against Princeton. We're looking to play the spoiler."

Harvard 8, Army 1

Playing at number-one singles, Jon Cardi--the highly touted Crimson freshman--recorded a big three-set victory over Kevin Lemke, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, while Mark Leschly scored a 6-2, 6-2 bruising of O.J. Tatsuta.

At number-four singles, Roger Berry used an almost flawless serve-and-volley game in crushing Chris Harris, 6-1, 6-0. All of Berry's shots fell just inside the line and his opponent was left staring at the spots where the ball had landed.

Harvard Co-Captain Arkie Engle volleyed his way to a 6-1, 6-2 thumping of Mak McMullen.

Ravi Kumar, the Crimson freshman sensation, buzzed to a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Tom Robertson, while Chris Capossela, playing in his first varsity match for the netmen, dropped a 6-2, 6-2 decision to Mike Purpura.

In doubles-action, all three Harvard teams cruised to easy victories. At number-one singles, Engle and Leschly recorded a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Lemke and McMullen.

Kumar and Soni breezed to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Mark Gagnor and Purpura.

At number-two doubles, Berrry and Cardi recorded a straight set triumph over Tatsuta and Robertson.

Harvard 7. Cornell 2

Saturday, Cornell rolled into town, but soon rolled back to Ithaca after suffering a 7-2 defeat.

At number-six singles, Soni was the first to finish his match, recording a straight set decision over Steve Begner, 6-0, 6-0.

In the number-five singles, Kumar--not to be outdone by his doubles partner--recorded a 6-1, 6-2 triumph over Ian McDonald, while Engle was breezing in the number two singles.

Engle destroyed Bruce Jervis in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0, while Berry put David Neel away, 6-3, 6-4.

Leschly stormed to a 6-2 triumph in the first set, then held John Fasullo off in the second set, 7-6 (7-4), while Cardi dropped a tough, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4 decision.

At number-one doubles, Kumar and Soni recorded a 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 victory over Ted Von Hoene and Begner, while Engle and Leschly captured a 6-4 triumph in the first set. The second set wasn't even close, as the Crimson duo cruised to a 6-0 triumph.

Harvard will close out the season when it hosts Ivy League-leading Princeton this afternoon at Beren Tennis Center. If the Crimson beats Princeton, Yale will share the Ivy title with the Tigers.