Batsmen Sweep Red; Swept by Tigers

Pitching Shines for Harvard Saturday, But Falters Yesterday

By Colin F. Boyle

Sure, you need pitching on every level of baseball. But if you don't have pitching in the Eastern League (EIBL), you're in deep trouble.

This weekend, the Harvard baseball team was a perfect example.

The Crimson got good pitching at Soldiers Field Saturday against Cornell and swept the Big Red in a twinbill, 5-4 and 5-3.

But yesterday, Princeton got the good pitching while Harvard didn't, and the Tigers swept the Crimson, 13-0 and 8-1.

The Crimson's record now stands at 16-16 overall (9-7 EIBL) with just three games remaining in the season.

Greg Ubert opened the weekend for the Crimson and gave up six hits on the way to improving his record to 3-2 on the season. Ubert struggled early, giving up three runs in the top of the first inning, and another in the third. But the big righthander settled down and shut out the Big Red the rest of the way.

"I definitely felt I was getting stronger as the game progressed," Ubert said. "I also liked the wind coming in from centerfield."

Harvard came back with five runs off starter and loser Rob Deans (3-8) in the bottom of the third inning. The big blow for the Crimson was a bases-loaded double by Co-Captain Frank Morelli.

Harvard 5, Cornell 3

In Saturday's nightcap, freshman hurler Zach Hope held the Big Red to seven hits to earn his fourth win of the season.

Cornell scored all three of its runs in the first two innings, when Harvard made four errors. But the Crimson defense settled down and helped Hope get out of trouble unscathed in the fourth and seventh innings.

Harvard battled back against Cornell starter Kerry Brooks for a pair of runs in the bottom of the second inning. Catcher Aron Allen led off with walk and moved to second on a single by third baseman Tim Hurley, who had three hits in the game.

A single by first baseman Rich Renninger set up a no-out, bases-loaded situation for shortstop Dave O'Connell with no outs. Brooks walked O'Connell to force in a run, and got second baseman Casey Cobb to ground into a double play which scored Hurley, as Harvard cut the lead to 3-2.

The Crimson broke through again in the fourth. O'Connell led off with a walk. When Cobb squared to sacrifice him over, Cornell third baseman Joe Catone came charging in, but Cobb instead swung and poked a single past him into left field.

After an out, Pat Sullivan singled to score O'Connell and tie the game, 3-3. After Cobb and Sullivan successfully executed a double-steal, Morelli struck out, and catcher Guy Leach tried to pick Cobb off third. Leach's throw sailed past Catone into left field to score Cobb with the go-ahead run. Co-Captain Frank Caprio then ripped a double into left-centerfield to score Sullivan with the final run of the game.

Princeton 13, Harvard 0

Tiger southpaw Greg Kuzma scattered four hits and three walks to shut out the Crimson in yesterday's opener. Harvard threatened in the fourth inning, but Kuzma got out of the jam with one of his five strikeouts.

Righthander Mike Dorrington started for the Crimson, but experienced some control problems, walking four batters in the first two innings. But the sophomore escaped both innings without giving up a run.

The Tigers finally broke through against Dorrington in the top of the third inning, exploding for eight runs on five hits. The big blows for Princeton were a two-run homerun by designated hitter Brandon Montler and a three-run double by first baseman Brad Remig.

Princeton 8, Harvard 1

Things were no better for the Crimson in yesterday's nightcap. Lefty Steve Holland limited Harvard to just two singles as the Tigers completed their sweep.

Freshman Cody Weston started for the Crimson and yielded a pair of runs in the second inning on two singles, a hit batsman and a pair of sacrifices.