Rowe Joins N.Y. Center

By Andrew J. Bates

A Medical School professor who specializes in physiology and internal medicine left Harvard last week to become the head of a highly prestigious New York medical center.

Associate Professor of Medicine John W. Rowe, who has been a member of the Medical School faculty since 1975 and has done extensive research on the physiology of aging, said in an interview yesterday that he accepted an offer to become president of Mt. Sinai Hospital, along with its medical school and new medical center.

Rowe said he hopes to use his new post as ameans of taking a leading role in the ongoingdebate over the future of modern medicine.

"I think that there are major changes in whatsociety expects from the medical profession," Rowesaid in explaining his move. "There are new issuesof biotechnology, there are tensions betweenconducting high-tech work, such as transplants anddealing with the local community."

"I'm attracted to dealing with these issues,"Rowe said. "I believe that my experience as anadministrator and a researcher will serve me wellin [taking part in] this debate."

"I feel Mt. Sinai is very well positioned [totake part] in the development of the modernmedical center," Rowe said.

Rowe, who said he was offered tenure at theMedical School earlier this year, said in aninterview yesterday that he will continue todirect the McArthur Foundation's study on aging inhis Mt. Sinai post.

The study, which Rowe has led for three yearswhile at Harvard, is a "focus on the factors thatpermit older people to remain fit and healthy," hesaid.

Rowe also said that the hospital's size, itsreputation for quality, its new medical center,and his own desire for a measure of financialstability led him to accept the Mt. Sinai offer.

Medical School officials and colleagues ofRowe, while expressing regret at his departurefrom Harvard, said the Mt. Sinai post representeda wonderful opportunity that was too good to passup.

"It's a wonderful challenge and opportunity forDr. Rowe," said Lillian F. Blacker, director ofthe medical area news office. "He was veryeffective as an administrator, as a researcher,and as a clinician. He'll be sorely missed.