Fight Erupts in Sports Bar

Brawl Results in Arrest and Injury

By Melissa R. Hart

An unidentified young man received 48 stitches in his head after a man hit him with a bottle last Friday night in a fight at The Sports Bar, the establishment's manager said.

According to David Ferguson, the manager of the bar, the fight began when David Reynolds, 35, of New Bedford, was verbally abusive to a young woman. When one of her companions attempted to defend her, Reynolds hit him with a bottle.

Bar's First Fight

Ferguson said the fight was the first at the popular Harvard hangout on John F. Kennedy Street since its opening last spring.

"[Reynolds] acted like he was taking off his jacket, and then he just turned around and smashed a bottle over the other guy's head," said Ferguson. He said he did not know whether Reynolds was drunk.

After the young man was hit, there were a few moments of confusion, while other patrons pulled Reynolds away, and "beat him up pretty good," said Ferguson, but "it was over before it began."

Reynolds ran out of the bar, but Cambridge police arrested him at the corner of JFK and Eliot streets. He was charged with disorderly conduct and assault and battery with a bottle, according to Cambridge Police crime analyst Richard Sevieri.

Sevieri said Reynolds was probably arraigned this morning, but was not certain what penalties would be imposed.

The young man who was hit with the bottle had to get 48 stitches in his head because Reynolds broke the bottle on his head, according to Ferguson. He did not know what hospital the man was sent to. It was not clear whether he was a Harvard student.

The names of the young woman and the man who was injured were not available. Sevieri said the woman gave a Harvard address to police when describing the incident.