Field Hockey Falls To Northeastern, 1-0

After opening the season with a 1-0 victory over the University of Rhode Island last Saturday, the Harvard field hockey team lost to Northeastern, 1-0, yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field.

The Huskies scored the game's only goal when junior Anne Mucera found the net eight minutes into the second half. The goal, which deflected off Mucera's stick, was assisted by freshman Kelly West.

"Northeastern is a very strong team, well-skilled and physical," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said. "They beat us to the ball, and put us on the defensive a lot. Since they were on attack so much, to lose by one goal is okay."

The Crimson spent more time defending Northeastern's aggressive style and less time trying to put the ball in the Huskie goal.

"We didn't get to go on attack enough because we were on defense a lot," Co-Captain Katie McAnaney said.

With three Crimson starters out (sophomores Anne van Dykum, and juniors Sharon Landau and Lynn Fragione), Caples started three freshman--Kristin Fowler, Cici Clark and Sandra Whyte.

"Freshmen getting experience this early will give more depth to the team," Caples said. "Playing at such a fast pace can only make us better. The freshmen did an outstanding job."

Harvard goaltender and Co-Captain Denise Katsias had five saves during the first half. With 20 minutes left in the game, Katsias made an outstanding save to keep the game close.

The Crimson's other co-captain, McAnaney, once again led by example. The senior was very effective on the fly and anchored Harvard's defense.

"We played 10 times better than last Saturday, and we were tough the whole game," McAnaney said.

After two road games this week against Fairfield and Lowell, the Crimson will host the University of Connecticut September 29 at 3 p.m.