Joslin, Stickwomen Stomp Fairfield, 7-1

On the weekend that the U.S. Olympic basketball team trounced Egypt, 102-35, the Harvard field hockey had its own scoring barrage, trouncing the University of Fairfield, 7-1, Saturday in Fairfield, Conn.

Junior Char Joslin scored four goals to tie a Harvard record for most goals in a game. The romp improved Harvard's record to 2-1.

"We were really on the attack all day long," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said. "Fairfield packed up their defense. We kept things spread out and had good ball movement."

Kara Hurley, Julie Cohen and Becky Gaffney each scored goals in a game in which the Crimson took a total of 24 shots on goal.

"We dominated the game a lot," Caples said. "There was no type of pressure on the defense. This was good, especially after the Northeastern game, when we played 65 minutes of defense."

Last Wednesday, Harvard had problems against an aggressive Northeastern team and lost, 1-0, at Soldiers Field. Saturday afternoon, the story was quite different.

Harvard Co-Captain and goaltender Denise Katsias had one of her easiest days in the net. Although Katsias did give up Fairfield's only goal, a score by Beth Hickey in the first half, the senior had to save only one more shot for the entire game.

Looking Good

"Everyone played well and made everyone else look good," Caples said.

Harvard looked good from the start as Joslin notched her first goal of the day four minutes into the game. The Crimson scored four more times in the first half. Junior Lisa Cutone had two assists in the first half.

The Crimson will play two more non-league games this week. Harvard travels to the University of Lowell tomorrow and hosts the University of Connecticut Thursday at Soldiers Field. Next Saturday, Harvard travels to Penn for its first Ivy League contest.

If its win over Fairfield is any indication of what kind of season it might be for Harvard, the Crimson may be a strong contender for its first Ivy League title.