Men Ruggers Top B.C., 13-9

The Harvard Rugby Football Club opened its Metro Region schedule successfully, defeating Boston College, 13-9, Saturday at Soldiers Field.

Plagued by mistakes and penalties for the second consecutive week, the Crimson had to overcome three B.C. penalty kicks.

"This team has a lot of fortitude," Crimson Co-Captain Mike Newhouse said. "We really pulled it together when we had to. We got a little sloppy, and that was disappointing, but a win is a win."

The Crimson (1-1 overall, 1-0 Metro Region), coming off a season-opening loss to Army last weekend, broke a 9-9 tie with less than five minutes remaining in the contest.

Fullback Bruce Miller scored the game-winner off a five-meter scrummage. Miller received a nice pass from freshman eight-man Soren O'Berg. During loose play, O'Berg picked the ball up, ran around the corner--forcing the Eagle defenders to overcommit themselves--before he passed to the trailing Miller.

"That was a really nice play by Soren and Bruce," Newhouse said.

After a scoreless first half dominated by Harvard, the two squads traded penalty kicks to open the scoring.

Junior Scott Hilinski then came through with the most exciting play of the day.

After a hard hit by Co-Captain Scott Tierney knocked the ball loose, Hilinski caught the loose ball and coasted 40 meters for the try. Chris Liles converted to put the Crimson up, 9-3.

However, B.C. retaliated with two more penalty kicks. The second one tied the score at nine.

"B"-side

The Harvard "B"-side fell to B.C., 16-7, Saturday at Soldiers Field. The "C"-side saw its first action of the season in a controlled scrimmage.